Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sdemoss33

Front Yard Landscaping Help

sdemoss33
9 years ago

Hello Everyone,

I'm in need of ideas and advice on what I can do to spruce up my front yard. It's a disaster and has only gotten worse over time, especially with the drought. The trick is, I'm a renter, so would like to avoid making any huge commitments in investments and am unable to make huge changes like tree removals. However, I plan to be here for at least another 3 or so years and would like to be proud about where I live. I'd like to make use of what exists if possible with the addition of adding low cost plants to the mix.

Problem I'm having:
1. Ivy...enough said
2. Dead rock hard lawn
3. Poorly place trees

Plants I'm working work or at least what I believe them to be are:
1. Algerian Ivy
2. Eastern Hemlock
3. Japanese Ivory Silk Lilac
4. Heavenly Bamboo
5. Bird of Paradise
5. Unknown Oak Trees

As much as I hate the ivy, I feel it needs to stay due to the slope and inability to afford replanting those large sections. Is it possible to maybe create low (1ft or so) fencing to train the ivy as a raised border around the ivy sections? Are there other recommended options?

I'd eventually like to refurbish the walkway, the mulch was extra from the backyard and needed to be placed to prevent the neighborhood cats from using the path as a restroom, but I know it won't survive this coming winter. Also the placement is incredibly awkward.

The right side of the ivy previously had two equally tall trees, one of which came down in a storm and the other had to be removed due to rotting. The Eastern Hemlock has been engulfed in the ivy and throws of the symmetry which drives me nuts! Is there any way to offset such a large tree? Also, I could do without the Japanese Lilac, would removing it create to much emptiness?

No idea where the random Heavenly Bamboo or Bird of Paradise came from, a few years ago it popped up in the ivy. Again awkwardly placed, but the ground is so overtaken by ivy, my previous attempts to dig them up for transplant left me in frustration. Is it worth keeping them around?

So lost at this point, any suggestions to at least create a yard easy on the eyes would be much appreciated.

Comments (5)