Return to the Landscape Design Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Landscape Question

Posted by peachymomo 9b (My Page) on
Thu, Jun 3, 10 at 13:48

I am planning on landscaping my front yard and Im having trouble deciding on some of the plants. I am putting in two long raised beds in front of the fence, the one in back will be a foot and a half taller and twice as wide as the one in front. The exposure is mostly 6-7 hours of sun, but one end gets only 3-6 hours. I am putting in a hedge of Heavenly Bamboo in the very back, it should do well in both sun and shade. In front of that I want to put a row of Rose bushes in the tall bed and a row of Tree Roses in the short bed, the colors will be mostly yellows with some red and pink blends.
Where it is too shady for roses I need some sort of substitute that will follow the same color scheme and have a similar form. I need 2 Rose Bush subs and 3 Tree Rose subs, I am considering Clove Currants for the bush subs because although they wont be as showy as the roses they have yellow fragrant flowers and I like edible landscaping. The Tree Rose subs are harder, I thought about Camellias but I already have 4 of those and they are way bigger than tree roses. Maybe a single, small Japanese Maple would be good, but I dont want all three to be maples because Id like the other two to bloom.
Suggestions please?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Landscape Question

Hmmmm ... What you are asking doesn't really fit easily into a particular forum. Landscape Design deals, as some one put it recently, with everything from the street to the foundation. It would, for instance, be more about how these beds function in relationship to the house, drive, other hardscape, other beds & plants, etc.

Since you are specifically asking for substitute plants for roses, maybe the rose forum could offer some suggestions. I believe there are even a few roses that can handle less sun. Anyway, they would be the gardeners with the most experience in rose presentation and choices.

Since you indicate zone 9b, you might also try the California forum, or Florida, or wherever it is that puts you in zone 9. Many of us with LZS (Lower Zone Syndrome) are simply unfamiliar with what might or might not work for you.

I'm not asking the design questions that come to mind from your situation, as it sounds like you have already made your design choices and are now only looking for the right substitutes to finish what you've already "designed".

Roses scare me, although I love them, so I hope you get the result you are after ...

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Landscape Design Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here