Return to the Landscape Design Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Incorportae Blue Spruce in to Landscape

Posted by KMack17 6 NJ (My Page) on
Sat, Jun 16, 12 at 14:17

Hello, here's a picture of the left side of my house and yard when looking at it from the street:

Photobucket

The landscpae is obviously lacking and I'm trying to put together a plan for me to tackle this fall. I really like Colorado Blue Srpuce trees and want to incorporate at least one in to the design. I don't want it to get much taller than 15', so I was thinking of planting a Fat Albert Spruce in the center of the 32' fence. My thought was to have this tree come out a little further than the bed is currently cut and flank it with 2 somewhat smaller evergreens with yellow foliage. I want to achieve some level of privacy from the street without shading out the grass and garden that grow just on the back yard side of the fence. The house faces west, so a 15' tall tree would only provide afternoon shade, which would be ok. In front of whatever yellow evergreens I choose, I would plant smaller plants with a variety of colors (mostly reds, probably). Any thoughts on this plan or suggestions on what trees or plants I should use?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Incorportae Blue Spruce in to Landscape

"Fat Albert" wouldn't be too bad a choice; keeping in mind that it can ultimately have a 7-10' footprint, too. Planting out to compensate for the fence is a good idea.

Consider the ninebark "Dart's Gold" for additional fence shrubs. Extremely no care. Very prunable (but why??), but usually top out around 8'. I've had two of them - facing west - for maybe six years now. They're getting the characteristic, interesting, shreddy looking bark and have lovely long arching branches now covered with flowering buds. I love the yellow/chartreuse leaf color in the spring and summer.

o

That is some striking foliage, at least in the pictures I saw. I saw a range of mature sizes, but is 8' high by 6' wide realistic? I think that would be a pretty good size for what I'm thinking.

o

Yes, left to their own devices and being able to resist the temptation to prune. I don't get any suckering, but there are several main branches which just get taller and more arching each year. It's the arching that gives it the substance and width... not more trunks growing from the original root.

Left alone, they're about as nice a shrub as any. Pruned into a meatball, not so much.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Landscape Design Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here