Return to the Landscape Design Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
DG mixed with cement

Posted by Jaina CA (My Page) on
Mon, Jun 11, 12 at 14:23

I�m building a pathway using pieces of broken concrete and to fill the gaps instead of using polymeric sand I have leftover unstablized DG from another project that I wanted to use. I expect the gap thicknesses to be between 1"-3". Someone from a stoneyard mentioned you can mix DG with white cement to fill in gaps with. Has anyone ever mixed DG with cement for this purpose? What were the proportions? This pathway will get a lot of foot traffic so I want the pieces of broken concrete and the gaps between them to be as level as possible so I thought DG mixed with some sort of stabilizer will give it extra support instead of crumbling which I've noticed with pathways I've done with DG only.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: DG mixed with cement

you can mix white or regular colored cement with dg as a binding agent.
no much goes a long way, I'd estimate the mix is 10 to 1.
you are going to get 'pull away' in the gaps due to expansion and contraction of your sub base / moisture/ dry out content - weather dependent.

I think that the resin based binders are far superior. Google terra -pave.

I have photos of both if you want to see the results. The cement / dg mix still has a little bit of 'nap' to it : loose small grit that filters to the top.

If you seal the terra pave there is a substantial amount less of this loose grit.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Landscape Design Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here