Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
katrina_ellen

Making lemonade out of lemons in progress..

katrina_ellen
10 years ago

Hope this posts OK, haven't done it in a while. With all the help, and most especially thank you Yaardvark, I think this is a vast improvement from where I began. I did the first cut on the yews and box bushes this past winter. Still to go, is refinishing the deck and the trellis/fence to support a flowering vine, that Yarrdvark suggested on the left side of the groundcover bed to create a sense of enclosure. The groundcover was just planted last year so it has a while to go before filling in. What do you think?
{{gwi:36034}};{{gwi:36035}}

Comments (7)

• PRO
    Yardvaark
    10 years ago

I was wondering just the other day if we would see an updated photo of this project. As I'm reading your post, I'm thinking that it doesn't look like you followed my advice. Eventually, I scroll and see I'm looking at the "before" picture! I think the "after" looks much better than the before, but it really can't "sing" until the tree grows to a larger size ... at least a little over your head. (It will not take that long.) I would prune a little of the left side of the pair of yews to force them to the right where they can line up better with the window, instead of overhanging the house. One thing I wish was different was the line of annuals. They would be better as a group in some fitting position than as a string. It looks like what you have can be well tended and shaped into something nice over the years. Whereas that was not the case with what you had before. I see there are many small plants to grow and a new window box; they will be much different by the end of the summer. (It would be interesting to see how it looks then.) You mention "refinishing" the deck. Not sure what you mean by that word, but hope you don't make too much work of making it look nice. A pressure wash and paint would be the easiest way. (I know there was some talk last year about what to do last year. I am not trying to re-hash.) I hope you like, and can see, where it is going.

• katrina_ellen
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for the advice about the yew, I will do that. In retrospect I wish I had bought a bigger tree, but then I couldn't have drug it all around the yard like I did. I ended up planting some sedum angelina around the entry bush, I loved the foilage color and it won't block light around the bush, but I am wondering if it will be tall enough to give the effect it needs to have. From the photo I see what you mean about the annuals, I know in interior decorating, you are suppossed to group things together for better effect instead of spreading them around, seems like the same applies here. I hope I can get to the deck in the next couple months. I will post another pic later this summer. I do like it a lot, and I am excited to see it starting to fill out. Thanks very much for the additional direction, I really appreciate it.

• PRO
    Yardvaark
    10 years ago

you are welcome. I wish you luck with growth.

• trovesoftrilliums
    10 years ago

Thanks for posting before and after pics. Really lovely and looks so much more welcoming. Also the blue shutters and door enhance the overall look.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    10 years ago

Thanks from me, too, for posting the 'after' pics. I looks so much better now and I think it will just get better and better as time goes by. The blue works great with the grey roof.

• katrina_ellen
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks trovesoftrilliums and cyn. For all the help I received here I really wanted to share. I will be posting again late in the summer, hopefully I can accomplish more but at the least I can show the difference in growth. I actually dug out the line of annuals and replanted around the entry bush per Yardvark's comment! I need to apply what I know of interior decoration to the exterior! I also planted some annuals - salvia - around the tree yesterday to fill in more until the coral bells fill in. But the ground cover will be slower to establish. Anyways - thanks for looking!

• eldarwen
    10 years ago

Yes, please do post again! I love seeing before / after shots particularly when (like you did) they actually have the same perspective!

It looks much nicer, and I like the change in the paint as well!