Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nancy0903

covering a fence rapidly?

nancy0903
12 years ago

We just created a fenced garden bed using rustic cedar posts and invisible wire to prevent critters from getting in to destroy our plantings. In front of the garden fence (on our property) we planted a shrub hedge of privet and chokeberry to fill in and eventually cover the posts and have the bed blend into the naturatlistic surrounds. The plants are not yet full size and we planted to accomodate the growth rather than having to move as they mature. The bed is visible from my neighbor's house and he previously had a sense of untamed landscape. He politely inquired if we could do anything to further have it disappear from view. I have planted passionflower vines and morning glories which by the middle/end of the summer should do the trick,. Is there a perennial vine which might provide further camouflage year round. i was thinking honeysuckle (one of the less invasive varieties)? Any suggestions?

Nancy

Comments (7)

• pam29011
    12 years ago

There are lots of invasive vines that would do the trick. I keep tearing Virginia Creeper off our chain link fence & I'm amazed at how quickly it returns :) But it is deciduous.

Morning Glory is a good one because it will drop seeds & come back every year. The only evergreen fence-covering plant I know if for my zone is the upright form of wintercreeper. Is Vinca evergreen in your zone? It's another invasive species but might work well in this instance since you can mow down any escapee runners.

• missingtheobvious
    12 years ago

Is it the uncovered fence posts the neighbor objects to, or the (veggie?) bed itself? In other words, are you temporarily covering the posts until the privet and chokeberry grow tall enough, or do you need to screen the neighbor's view of the entire area?

How tall is the fence? Will the hedge create a shade problem in the fenced garden?

I'm glad he was polite, and I understand that you wish to be accomodating ... but I think he's got a lot of nerve.

• stacylea23
    12 years ago

What about a Sweet Autumn Clematis? That seems to be the fastest one I've grown. Mine was planted last year. Early this spring it cut it back to about 6 inches above the ground and it has already completely covered an 8 ft. x 4 ft. trellis so that you can't even see the trellis. I am now training it to follow the top of the fence line.

The only proble that I have encountered is that it wouldn't grasp the fence because it was slick. It would try to wrap and then just slide down. I put the trellis there and it didn't have any trouble at all.

Just make sure it will do well in your planting zone.

I can hardly wait for mine to bloom this fall.

• duluthinbloomz4
    12 years ago

The Sweet Autumn Clematis is beautiful and the fastest growing thing I've ever seen, but I was forever pulling seedlings in my former MD/DC zone. It was also a tangled brown mess for the winter months.

What about the much overlooked Pyracantha? Pretty fast grower, evergreen, fabulous berries, minimum amount of work to get it trained on fencing.

• nancy0903
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks. What a great resource.
    Yes, the shrubs should eventually block out the posts. And anything grown won't shade the interior which isn't seen from his house. I have plenty of ideas. Will check into what the deer eat before planting!
    Mille grazie

• lazy_gardens
    12 years ago

I would politely suggest that he plant a few things to block the unwanted views.

One medium-sized evergreen close to his window should do it.

• nancy0903
    Original Author
    12 years ago

It did occur to me that he could do a planting. He actually told me that I could replant two of his huge grasses to create a screen. I already planted the morning glories and some runner bean vines. The rst is up to him!