Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bobby1973_gw

Hide Green Utility Boxes

bobby1973
9 years ago

Hi folks - I moved into a newly constructed home a few months ago and I'm currently implementing foundation plant material. Out of the 4 homes in my culdesac, I got stuck with those ugly green utility boxes on my property. So I'm thinking of landscaping ideas that would help obscure the boxes. The one idea that I came up with would be to create a bed that incorporates the existing Dogwood tree as shown in the photo. I'm thought Blue Oats Grass Sapphire (an evergreen in my area) would be a good filler for that bed. But for some reason, there's something that bothers me about this design solution. I just pinpoint what it is. Any advice/feedback would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

bobby

Comments (6)

• PRO
    Yardvaark
    9 years ago

Your bed is too much like a precise machine part and not realistically sized for the plants you wish to install. If done, you'd be constantly fighting lawn grass infiltration into the bed and blue oats grass spilling out of it. As well, it's going to be a pain to maintain lawn grass in all the narrow spaces between things, so I think it would be better to put all the plants and the utility boxes into the landscape bed. Installing a flush mowing strip/border between bed and lawn would help tidy up everything. Consider painting the boxes a color in the blue oats vain but darker in order to help them disappear. Sorry for the scratchy sketch.

• Adella Bedella
    9 years ago

For something like that, I'd be tempted to buy a couple of the fake rock covers and make the utility boxes look like landscaping boulders. You could make a put an area of river rock around it and add a few strategic plants and possibly some nice sized real boulders (optional). Could end up looking really nice.

• bobby1973
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you for the input everyone!

• bobby1973
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I think what I'm going to do is remove the sod around the 2 green utility boxes and just plant a few of the Blue Oats Grasses strategically in front of them, in their own bed. I'm not going incorporate the Dogwood Tree into the bed because it'll just be too big and awkward looking. My other concern is at the opposite corner of my house, where I have another green utility structure (see attached photo). This one looks like a 'torpedo':) The solution that I have come up with for this one is to create a large circle/oval bed that incorporates the green structure. My plan would be to fill it with a collection of Ornamental Grasses and medium size boulders, to create a bit of a 'rock garden' appearance. I don't want to incorporate any colorful flowers into this bed because I don't want it to detract from the foundation beds and the background stone wall. I just want this bed to be peaceful, filled with plant material that will sway in the breeze. I'm thinking about placing a cluster of Blue Oats Grasses in the foreground of the bed, Muhley Grasses in the center, and Red-leaved Miscanthus towards the back end of the bed. I thought this would create a staggered collection of grasses with different textures and colors. I would love to hear of any alternative plant materials that any of you would select for this bed. Thank you kindly!

bobby

• Olychick
    9 years ago

I don't know why developers are allowed to mess up a perfectly lovely area with these box placements. There has to be a better way.

• stolenidentity
    9 years ago

paint them:

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths