Return to the Landscape Design Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Berm design ideas.........any pics to share?

Posted by haziemoon z6 CO (GJ) (My Page) on
Thu, Jun 8, 06 at 15:03

Need help!!
My husband is having a dump truck load of dirt delivered from his job site today.

We have been throwing around the idea of making a berm, but haven't had a design in mind. Now a free dump truck load of dirt will be here soon, and I have no plans yet!

Do you guys have any pictures of ones you've done, to share
for inspiration?

Haziemoon

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Berm design ideas.........any pics to share?

I'm not very familiar with berms, but the forum has quite a few postings regarding berms right here!.

-Audric

o

bonsai,
I spent a few hours going through the archives today.
Read till my eyes hurt, but didn't find too many pics.

Was hoping someone had a few pics to share....

Haziemoon

o

Haziemoon: Your inquiry strikes me as very odd. You are having a truck load of dirt delivered but you don't have any idea what you are going to do with it? Why do you think a berm would be a good addition to your landscape?

- Brent

o

Berms are usually constructed for a reason: to compensate for poor drainage or poor soil; to create a change of grade for interest; to help direct surface water; to deflect noise such as traffic on a busy road; or to create a focal point.

What is the reason for yours? Don't install a berm just because you have the soil. If there is a reason to install one, the size and shape of it are decided first, then you choose plants that will thrive in your light and soil conditions, and contribute to the purpose (height variations for aestetic reasons, screening, display of flowering plants).

o

The reason for the Berm is to create a focal point, and
give some interest to a rather flat boring yard.

The dirt fell into our laps a little sooner than expected.

I was hoping to get some shape ideas, I kind of know what I want, but wanted to see some done before moving the dirt.

o

Based on history, requests for pictures on this forum seldom yield results. You are likely to have much better results using Google's web and image searches using phrases like: "landscape berm", "berm design", "berm focal point", and such. Has the dirt been delivered? How much? If you posted pictures of your landscape them maybe somebody could offer design ideas.

- Brent

o

Well I just went for it!
And am pretty happy with it. It's about 3 feet high in the back and gradually comes down in the front. I planted 3 Aspen tree's in it and have several perennials planted......
and several more on order. I still have to mulch it tomorrow..
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Haziemoon

o

It's funny because it looks entirely flat to me! I think the shape is nice but the soil looks pretty rocky to me. I hope you amended it well. I'm sure you are already thinking this way, but go really high in the back to obscure the fence rather than draw attention to it with medium-height plants. I'm thinking Russian Sage, Joe Pie Weed, very tall echinacea, tall hollyhocks and so forth.

Have fun with your new garden bed! It's so fun to start a new one, isn't it?

Patty

o

Thanks for your input Patty.
I have echinacea planted there by the fence, and more on order.

I put in a few bags of soil prep mixed with garden soil
wherever I planted. Do you think that is enough?

Haziemoon

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Landscape Design Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here