Return to the Landscape Design Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Making a vegetable bed

Posted by crozzroad (My Page) on
Thu, Jun 16, 11 at 15:22

Hello
First time posting here :-)

I wanted to check if laying newspaper & compost/mulch is a good idea to make a vegetable bed in an existing lawn. One of my friends told me that this will not work as the lead content in the newspaper will make the soil unsuitable for vegetable gardening .

Your valuable thoughts ? ?

Thanks
crozzroad

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Making a vegetable bed

Your friend needs to drink deeper into the proverbial Pierian Spring...

Nearly all of the ink in newspapers today is soy based using carbon to make the color black. Harmless.

Newsprint is simply thin paper made from a combination of recycled matter/fiber and wood pulp. Harmless.

Google lasagna gardening for instructions on how to best prepare the space and pile stuff on for future gardening/planting.

o

As d:in:flower suggests so much of gardening is of the suck it and see variety. But back to the beginning.....

o

Call your local newspaper and ask if their inks include heavy metal. I regularly use newspaper and unprinted cardboard under my mulch to keep down weeds, but I know that my local paper uses soy inks.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Landscape Design Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here