Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mkml30

choosing pavers with stone front

mkml30
9 years ago

I need help choosing pavers , specifically the design, when the front of my house has the stone that it does. Here are some pics of the entire house. We are making an hourglass shape from driveway that will lead to an 11 foot circle that will then turn and lead to the house. The porch will also be covered in pavers and a step will be created. Do I do a random pattern of old worldish looking pavers? Or do I contrast with a clean and uniform look? I think I would pick ONE color that you see in the stone on the house, and do that on the walkway. Ideas welcome. I will post a picture of entire front in a second.

Comments (10)

• mkml30
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Here is house.

• PRO
    Yardvaark
    9 years ago

In color picking, I reject the idea of picking a "mini" color that exists within the stone. While these may be compatible and work, it's not always the case. Pay attention instead to the OVERALL color, which is basically a variation of taupe. Taupe "goes with" innumerable other colors so probably many things will work ... as long as you don't get too brown. Try grays, charcoal ... maybe even red. Bring home samples and observe them from across the street.

• PRO
    Yardvaark
    9 years ago

duplicate deleted

This post was edited by Yardvaark on Sun, Jun 8, 14 at 11:55

• mkml30
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Sorry, this is what i meant. I actually meant to say "hue".
    The color is not the hard part. The pattern is. That's what I'm needing the help with.

• PRO
    Yardvaark
    9 years ago

Fads run a muck. You cannot go wrong with old school herringbone, basketweave or half-basketweave.

Hopefully, you will make the walk at least as wide as the porch at it approaches it.

• mkml30
    Original Author
    9 years ago

You are reading my mind, thankfully! I love herringbone and basketweave. Unsure what "half-basketweave" is, however. But while I'm not looking to "match", I was afraid that these patterns would not compliment. Yes, and actually, after covering it, the porch will be 12inches wider on all sides. The circle will be off set to the left, actually, so as to not disrupt the flow of traffic. Plus it just looks good there in the overall landscape plan. So glad that you don't think a herringbone will be odd with this house. The hardscaper suggested the typical random pattern, but I kept thinking in the back of mind that I wanted something else. I figured he suggested what he thought would look best. And yes, I do realize it is my house! : )

• PRO
    Yardvaark
    9 years ago

"...the porch 12" wider in all directions... " ... that sounds like the walk will not be as wide as the porch! It should be at least 4' wide from the drive and 5' wide after it turns toward the house... but same width as porch would be the goal. What is the advantage to having less? Not having your front tooth replaced after being knocked out will save a few bucks but it's not worth it.

• stolenidentity
    9 years ago

Do a random pattern of old worldish looking pavers, like this and do include the entry step:

• mkml30
    Original Author
    9 years ago

OF course the walkway will be as wide as the porch. Not sure what you mean in you post. I was just saying that covering the porch with pavers adds 12 inches to the porch itself. Obviously, the step will be as wide as the porch and the walkway as wide as the porch.

• PRO
    Yardvaark
    9 years ago

In 99% of the photos shown here, the steps and walk to the porch are too narrow. It's a chronic fault. So even though you say, "of course..." it would not be presumed.

What will look not good in pavers is using a pattern/color that mimics or tries to match the stone on the house. It would look as if you ran out of imagination and had just gotten a "good deal" on the material. Too much. It will look better to do a stark contrast.

This post was edited by Yardvaark on Sun, Jun 8, 14 at 12:12

Sponsored
CHC & Family Developments
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, Ohio