Return to the Landscape Design Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Mini French Drain for raised garden?

Posted by ShanShan70 none (My Page) on
Mon, Jun 16, 14 at 15:41

I am building up my herb garden with retaining wall blocks. It's sort of triangular shaped measuring 8 ft x 6 ft x 10 ft. It will ultimately be about 2 feet deep with soil.

I bought 1" pvc pipe to make my own French drain. Will a pipe this size make any difference in drainage or functionality? (I know most of these drains are much larger in diameter) I am trying to prevent the breakdown of the walls over the years - we get some pretty heavy rains in the spring and summer in Denver, and I'd hate to see my pretty new herb garden flooded.

It's going to mean some extra work for me, but I want to do this project right as I have already invested many hours and too much money! On the other hand, if this small of a pipe won't make any difference to the structure, then why bother? Or, if this size of retaining wall is too small to warrant this type of drain system? The soil underneath is clay.

Thanks for your input.
Shannon

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Mini French Drain for raised garden?

I thought I knew what a french drain was until I came here, where there seem to be different definitions. Therefore, I can't say I know what you are creating and how you are doing it. You might want to sketch a cross section view and plan of the project, and explain the details ... the complete thing.

o
RE: Mini French Drain for raised garden?

Big box home improvement stores have prefab French drains in ten foot sections for fifty bux. They are the black plastic drainage piping surrounded with pellets enclosed in a sleeve you sink into a trench, cap the end, and you can extend more piping with a joint connector to run the water away from the area that trickles through to the carrier pipe. There are more expensive designs a contractor can do for thousands of dollars. We have a middle range drain that runs along the front of our garage that fills a carrier basin that spills over into plastic drain pipes that run down hill along the side of the garage to the road below the house. I have to clean the basin out twice a year. The neighbor next door has a higher end French drain behind her house and along her garage that is accessible by grates over the top. Hers cost much more than ours. We are in the hills and the water comes down and around. The other side of our house has a flume fed by a drain and gravity carries the water down hill and under a sidewalk into a drainpipe to the sewer line.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Landscape Design Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here