Return to the Landscape Design Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
keeping weeds out of a mulched bed

Posted by pvel 7a (My Page) on
Thu, Jun 2, 11 at 15:53

I have a new home that has just had Bermuda sod put in. I have some established trees that I have left large beds around. The beds are filling up with crabgrass and assorted weeds. I plan to put in a layer of wood mulch. What can I do(apart from the mulch) to keep the weeds from taking over the beds? Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: keeping weeds out of a mulched bed

Remove (or kill by spraying with Roundup) the crabgrass and weeds in each bed. (If you used Roundup, wait a week or so to make certain everything you sprayed is dying.) Cover the entire bed with newspaper several sheets thick; wet it thoroughly, then cover with mulch.

Seeds will still blow into the bed or be buried by squirrels, and some will sprout even in the deepest mulch. If you're still doing more weeding than you want to, consider using a pre-emergent.

o

• Posted by bahia SF Bay Area (My Page) on
    Thu, Jun 2, 11 at 22:53

Also, be aware that the Bermuda grass is going to be a constant invader at the edges, and keep on top of edging it to keep it out. Personally, I would never use bermuda grass unless it was completely contained by hardscape at all edges.

o

Agree with above advice, but, if you do the newspaper (i use cardboard), no need to use the roundup.

You can consider just simply going in with the Roundup, and forgo adding more mulch, depending on the state of the mulch.

Agree, COMPLETELY, about the Bermuda grass (there are those who hate it and those who love it, but,) BUT... it WILL invade your beds unless a deep hard edge is put around it.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Landscape Design Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here