Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
shkatie9146_gw

Companion plants of hostas in a sunny/mostly sunny area

shkatie9146
11 years ago

I am far from creative when it comes to gardening. Currently, I have 3 large hostas on the side of my house where no one sees them. I would like to move them to the front of my house were I have about a 12' x 12' area in front of my front door. I would like the flowers/foliage to be nice all year round. I know for sure I want a burning bush or a dogwood. Preferably, I would like only perennials but will supplement with annuals.

Comments (4)

• aloha2009
    11 years ago

Hostas will fry in a sunny area.

• CEFreeman
    11 years ago

Not necessarily. There are sun tolerant hosta that fare quite well.

Chinese Sunrise, some of the "red" varieties, Jimmy Crack Corn, Maui Buttercups, and some of the darker, thicker leaved ones. Among many others.

The ones with white in them generally fry. If the texture is fine, they'll fry.

For the best results, do it after they bloom and not when the weather is 104F like is here in Maryland. I would do it in the fall when the leaves start to die off. Then they'll have the entire winter to acclimate. You can divide them at the same time, so you could have more to create a really nice border.

Of course, I have no idea what your hosta look like! :)

• duluthinbloomz4
    11 years ago

You don't say where in zone 4 you are, but in my Minnesota zone 4, most of the hostas can take full sun and just about anything approaching full sun. The "blue" ones will lose the coating that makes them blue leaving you with a green plant; and as said above, the variegated ones don't fare as well.

That being said, nice flowers and foliage year around will be a challenge. There are dwarf and mini conifers, of course. But your hosta naturally die back in the fall anyway as will perennials and certainly annuals; deciduous shrubs will lose their leaves. Maybe everything's under a few feet of snow anyway - like it tends to be here most winters.

• FroofyCat
    11 years ago

I'm right between zone 5/6 and hostas do ok in full sun all over town. I am over-run with variegated ones and the green/white contrast isn't as nice in full sun compared to the ones in shade.

A quick count tells me I have 42 hostas (probably forgetting a few) and many could be divided further. Half are in really sunny spots. I like to divide in early spring when the shoots are just showing purple tips because then they leaf out really nice for the whole summer. Along side them I have tons of yellow daylillies and tons of Autumn joy sedum and they like full sun. Lets see, I also have some salvia and coreopsis and some bright pink dianthus all near hostas. I also have tons of purple bearded irises, but they are really boring, in my opinion, once the blooms are gone. I actually have a Jacob's ladder in a pretty sunny spot and it does ok.

But perennial will all die back and you'll have nothing in winter. But I"m guessing in zone 4, you'll be under a blanket of snow anyway?

Also, the burning bush loses it's leaves - not evergreen.

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading Kitchen & Bath Remodelers in Franklin County, OH