Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
elisabethcb

If I take out this tree/shrub will I live to regret it?

elisabethcb
9 years ago

My front yard faces north and is shaded by two large oak trees. I would like to make the house look less dour and more balanced. I'm not sure how to accomplish that.

Should I take out the tallish shrub/tree thing that is pictured (at the right edge of the porch, next to the front door)? What should I put in its place? There are some spindly azaleas next to it, and they don't look great but they give us some privacy on the porch (our neighbors are close by on both sides).

I have thought of adding shutters to the house or planting some annuals for color. The native plants I have added (to the right of the front door) haven't done that well - I think it is too shady. There's a wider-angle picture in the link below. Appreciate your advice.

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:36635}}

Comments (8)

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    9 years ago

is too large to be that close to your foundation

That's not really a valid statement. First, we don't know what kind of shrub it is nor do we know how close it is planted. There is NO rule that says how far plants need to be away from a foundation - it is far more a question of what the homeowner is willing to deal with as far as maintenance is concerned. Damage to the foundation by almost any plant is highly overstated with a just a few major exceptions, so that's not really a valid reason in most cases.

As to "ruining" the look of your home, that is entirely a subjective assessment and extremely personal in nature. I find the tree-like plant just to the left-hand side of the steps far less attractive and visually offensive than the shrub.

• PRO
    Yardvaark
    9 years ago

"I would like to make the house look less dour and more balanced. I'm not sure how to accomplish that. Should I take out the tallish shrub/tree thing that is pictured (at the right edge of the porch, next to the front door)?" Take it out. It is not helping. It is hurting. Some colorful annuals in that spot would look a lot better.

The yard has a generally unkempt and ragged look. Trim. Get rid of weeds. Remove unhelpful plants. If you want privacy on the porch, why not intentionally create a pretty screen instead of using spindly azaleas in a way that says "elderly and struggling"?There are umpteen ways to make something nice that screens.

I would not line the walk with anything but the lawn on one side and groundcover on the other. Just weed the groundcover for improved appearance.

• Lalala (zone 6b)
    9 years ago

I agree that step one should be weeding, edging, pruning current plants as necessary, and putting down mulch. Cleaning things up will make a huge difference. Then see how the beds look and make some longer-term decisions. Can you take a closer picture of the large shrub/tree in question so we can figure out what it is?

• elisabethcb
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks, everyone! I did some weeding today in my pachysandra. You are giving me the confidence to take out the shrub/tree. Here's a close-up of it, in case that changes anyone's opinion. It makes me nervous to mess with long-established landscaping, because some of the plants I've put in (like the oak leaf hydrangea and the ilex glabras to the right of the front door) have struggled or died. It's full shade. The hostas have done well, but I feel like I have reached my personal hosta max.

I am open to taking out or massively pruning back the azaleas, or finding another way to screen the porch. Yaardvark, do you think I should do something non-plant-based, like a trellis?

• aegis1000
    9 years ago

Take out the tree and shrubs to our left of the porch.

Then work to get some color worked into the bed on the left side.

Consider Astilbe ...

• elisabethcb
    Original Author
    9 years ago

(Edited to remove double post)

This post was edited by elisabethcb on Wed, Jun 25, 14 at 16:14

• emmarene9
    9 years ago

I would remove that tree/shrub. You are already having shade on a northern exposure. You do not need more
    shade.

Variegated plants make dark spaces a bit brighter.Silver plants do the same although I don't think silver would look good in this case. I have a variegated Myrtle in my yard and it helps the shade seem less dark. You should see what you could get in your area. Even shrubs in a lighter shade of green would be helpful.

The overall view of your home is not dour to me. In fact I would love to toss down a blanket and take a nap right on the lawn there.