Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
threegraces

Attaching vinyl to cement with---?

threegraces
10 years ago

Hello!

I want to attach vinyl lattice to some now-unused cement stairs to keep out any critters who might find that a nice place to raise some youngins. The previous owner had wood lattice attached to chickenwire attached with screws but the wood rotted and several screws (and their anchors) fell out from the cracking cement. I want to replace the lattice since we are not ready to remove the stairs and repair the house, sidewalk and seal up or remove the cistern underneath - all the $$$ things involved in removing the stairs. Instead we're going to roll with it and make it a quirky feature with landscaping.

Any ideas if some sort of Liquid Nails would work instead of trying to drill into the cement? It's a fix I would like to last 10 years but it doesn't have to last forever.

Thanks!

Comments (15)

• cadillactaste
    10 years ago

Can you share a photo of the cracking? My husband is a general contractor...I can ask him what he would use. But without a photo and mention of the cement cracking...he would need to see the extent of it.

• cadillactaste
    10 years ago

Just checking in...no photo. No worries I'll check back later.

• threegraces
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Sorry - I'm slack!

Here is what I need to cover, ugh. It looks even worse here than in real life!
    {{gwi:36734}}

The lattice we will be using is laying flat on top of the stairs.

Here are some close-ups of the cracking cement
    {{gwi:36735}}
    {{gwi:36736}}

• marcinde
    10 years ago

I'd use 1x4s to create an anchoring frame along the face of those gorgeous steps (anchored to the concrete with Tapcons or other masonry screws/anchors). I'd then cut the lattice to follow the outline of the wood, and secure the lattice by sandwiching it between the base 1x4 and a trim 1x4.

Adhesive is not going to bond to what you have, not in any meaningful way. You'll be regluing one spot as another pops up, looking like Bugs Bunny trying to plug a dike.

• threegraces
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks marcinde - I follow you until you talk about sandwiching between the base and trim. Can you tell me what you mean by base and trim?

I should have left the rotten lattice and chickenwire up and just planted a bunch of stuff in front, LOL

• threegraces
    Original Author
    10 years ago

You can also see our cistern. Removing the steps vs covering them up with lattice and plants would result in exposing that cistern and cap. I'm not even sure if the cistern has been filled or not. Anyway, that is all part of why removing the steps at this time is cost-prohibitive.

• PRO
    Yardvaark
    10 years ago

Here's one more idea to consider... The top and bottom--horizontal pieces--of frame are to the front, and the sides--vertical pieces--of the frame are to the back. The framed panel would clear the ground by an inch or two.

• cadillactaste
    10 years ago

I like yardvaark's way of thinking...more like a decorative fence up in front of the existing stairs...not in anyway disrupting the structure of said steps. Nice!

I'll run this by my husband...but I see him agreeing with Yarkvark's design as well.

• marcinde
    10 years ago

I thought the idea was to keep out critters?

• cadillactaste
    10 years ago

Posted by marcinde 7 (My Page) on Thu, Jun 20, 13 at 14:30
    I thought the idea was to keep out critters?

Your right! I'll ask my husband how he would fix it...

• marcinde
    10 years ago

if it's not firmly attached to the face of the steps you're not keeping critters out. If there's a 2" gap they'll keep shoving at it till it's big enough.

• PRO
    Yardvaark
    10 years ago

Half bury a sacrifice 2x4 horizontally, on edge to block the gap. Reduce the gap to one inch ... just enough to keep the bottom board off the ground so it doesn't rot. That should be enough to make it last quite a while.

• threegraces
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Do Tapcons need anchors? I have no idea where to find a handyperson to do these sorts of things so DH and I don't have to struggle through them as we are decidedly not very handy. While I get a certain sense of accomplishment from DIY, I am just as satisfied to pay someone else to do it better :)

• PRO
    Yardvaark
    10 years ago

Tapcons do not need anchors but they need exact diameter holes for the size screw. if the hole depth does not equal screw length it's possible that screw will break off during installation. The under edges of the concrete steps look to be in bad shape. If the Tapcon screw (or any anchor) is too close to the edge of fragile concrete, it could cause a piece of the concrete to break off, in which case the screw wouldn't hold. Given the state that the concrete appears to be in is why I think you'd be better off with a separate fence panel held in place by posts independent of the steps. I'm sure you could figure out what you need to do to make it critter proof.