Return to the Landscape Design Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
views into the woods / 'windows'

Posted by still_lynnski 5 western MA (My Page) on
Wed, Jun 9, 10 at 16:49

I've heard this concept mentioned, and am hoping that someone can offer more detail about how to achieve it. I understand the idea of choosing particular views within a very wooded area, but how does one create the "windows" that frame or give access to those views? Would you cut the growth that blocks the view straight down to the ground? I don't want a path into the woods at every point where there's a special view. Would you cut back all the growth to a certain height for a couple of feet across to provide the window? Thin the growth to provide glimpses of the view through the window?

I wonder if I'm taking the idea of "windows" too literally? All suggestions welcomed, thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: views into the woods / 'windows'

"I wonder if I'm taking the idea of "windows" too literally?" it seems like it. Instead imagine the 'window' with Venetian blinds over it, you part the layers to gain a glint of your view, that is the effect I think.

o
RE: views into the woods / 'windows'

Let's say you have three exceptionally pretty spots - a nice rock, a striking flowering tree and a clump of bluebells in a clearing.

Instead of "window" think "peephole" and thin the growth between the path and the woods, or the viewing point and the woods, enough so you can get a glimpse to a full view of whatever it is.

YOu don't want a cleared tunnel to the spot - just a natural-looking thinned woods.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Landscape Design Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here