Return to the Landscape Design Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Evergreen backdrop for perennial bed?

Posted by TheShawMom IL5 (My Page) on
Sun, Jun 24, 12 at 16:57

I have a new perennial/shrub bed that was just started this spring. It is located on the north side of my sizeable yard with a 90 acre farm field behind it. We built a stone retaining wall on the north side of the bed to make the resulting planting area level and more easily visible from the deck. I feel I need some sort of backdrop (instead of the soybean field) to make everything a little more visible and protect things from the strong north wind out here in the country. Would emerald green arbovitae work? Any other suggestions?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Evergreen backdrop for perennial bed?

They would (the arborvitaes) only if you don't have deer. Over the winter, when their natural food is scarce, deer will crop new arborvitae down to the ground - or up to the 8 foot mark on mature specimens.

With the space you've got behind the retaining wall, I'd suggest easy to acquire inexpensively in several sizes - especially at places like Menard's - relatively fast growing Black Hills Spruce (Picea Glauca var. Densata). Deer won't touch them because of the short spikey needles and they're ideal for windbreaks.

Not to mention the BHS is an attractive, pyramid shaped conifer.

o
RE: Evergreen backdrop for perennial bed?

I agree about the deer but they are not a problem here - we are surrounded by flat farmland and they have to cross over a mile from the nearest wooded area. I have other arborvitae in the yard and they've never been touched. The reason I was thinking of a narrower tree is because the spruce would needed to be planted quite a ways apart to allow for mature size and that could take quite a few years to fill in.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Landscape Design Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here