Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
zilya_gw

Can anyone please make this look better ? Please?

zilya
15 years ago

Our back patio sucks. I like the pavers okay but the weeds between them are not good. This year we added a pergola on one side of the patio. But it looks funny.

Couple of options is to extend the pavers beyond the pergola and remove the edge. Or .. put a concrete patio. But that costs a lot more.

What do you experts suggest? Please feel free to throw all feedback ...

thanks

http://www.flickr.com/photos/69855344@N00/2571535932/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/69855344@N00/2571535624/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/69855344@N00/2571535624/

Comments (14)

• maverick6368
    15 years ago

Have you sprayed round up on the grass coming up between the pavers? I would start there, pull it out when it is dead and then put the quick concrete in the seams to keep grass from coming back through.

Maybe planting something around the base of the pergola to hide the cemment blocks (?) and using pots on the backside might help you come up with a softer look. I am not sure what plant to suggest but something that will soften the look.

Good luck!

• Central_Cali369
    15 years ago

I would go with what Maverick said. Also, you might want to plant some shrubs on the right side of the pergola to hide the satelite. Something evergreen would fit nicely. I don't know if camellia would thrive in your zone, but it would be a good candidate. I would also add some sort of shrubs around the paved area where the table and yellow seats are. Even a short boxwood hedge would look nice and would define the boundries of the paved area. It would also add a sence of privacy and make the area feel more inviting.

• zilya
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks for the replies. I have heard of Polymeric sand that you put on and it woulds stop the weeds. But I am unable to decide to keep the Pavers or not. Do they look okay ?

Yeah, I need to add a lot of shrubs on the left side. But where pergola is, should I extend the pavers if I am keeping the pavers and removing the edging ?

The satellite dish goes. Should remove it this weekend.

• Saypoint zone 6 CT
    15 years ago

I think the pavers are fine, much better than concrete. The block edging, however, looks weird raised higher than the level of the patio as do the empty pockets they create. If you feel you need to define the planting pockets, sink them so they are flush with the patio and the lawn and plant inside them. Then you can mow over them on the lawn side, and they won't create a raised bed that will spill dirt onto the patio on the low side.

Otherwise, take them out and plant a low hedge of whatever grows well in your area to define and add a sense of enclosure to the patio. Select a shrub that will grow naturally to about the size you are looking for, avoiding the need for constant pruning to maintain the size you want. Boxwood, Inkberry Holly, one of the small-leafed Rhododendrons, Yew (overused but a useful plant nonetheless), or if you don't mind a deciduous plant that doesn't look like much in winter, dwarf Fothergilla or Itea Virginica will give you early summer flowers and a fall foliage show.

Defining the patio by paving it, and then putting a glider out on the lawn right next to it looks funny. I'd relocate the glider to another area if possible, or enlarge the patio if you need more outdoor living space right there by the house, which I don't think you do.

The pergola is a very nice one, I want a pergola and have been putting it off in favor of non-fun items like a new septic system and roofing for several years now. I hate you. Maybe you could plant something and train it up one or two of the pillars to soften the look and add some color. I know I'd be tearing myself to shreds tying up some huge climbing rose and sending Clematis up along with it. Once established, it will shade the area underneath and you could maybe set your glider there and toss, I mean relocate the kiddies out onto the lawn or the main part of the patio by the big people's table. Unless you have bee sting allergies, then you might want to skip the flowers on the pergola and plant something that is more foliage than flowers. Or keep the epi-pen handy.

• aypcarson
    15 years ago

I like the pavers but also would get rid of the block edging. If you want a planting bed, you can define it by digging a edge. Around the base of the columns I would build four boxes to cover the cement blocks. Make the box large enough so that you could fill the space between them and the blocks with soil and then plant with some "spillers" that will cover the blocks and trail over the side.

• maro
    15 years ago

one of zilya's photos

Here is a link that might be useful: photo

• barefootinct
    15 years ago

There is a "definition" problems here that I struggle with myself. And there is a scale issue as well. The great, hefty pergola on one end with the little, fragile garden arbor on the other makes for an odd combination. I'd remove the arbor, perhaps moving it over to the fence. Also, as Saypoint says, the glider is in an odd location and contributes the problem of the area being undefined...it sort of spills out. Play around with different locations for the glider, under the pergola for example. Finally, if you can build up the curved beds with a few more layers of stone, nice and level, that might help define the area a bit more. You can fill those beds with colorful annuals.

By the way, an inexpensive, organic way to rid yourself of those weeds in the patio is to mix a gallon of white vinegar mixed with a cup of salt poured into those cracks.

• inkognito
    15 years ago

The patio doesn't really look big enough for a six person table so you probably do need to extend it, was it done professionally? The caps on the low wall look odd because they are not laid properly. Is there a change in level between the patio and the grass? Overall I think you should take a step back rather than looking to add something see what you can eliminate, then design the area based on what you use it for.

• karinl
    15 years ago

People have picked up on some very salient points, such as the visual weight of the pergola vs the arbour, and the need to cover up the bases of the posts. I agree with Ink too that taking a step back is what's needed here. I'm guessing your sequence of events was something like patio... arbour... pergola, but now the arbour doesn't fit with the whole picture. I don't mind the glider, which is something that looks moveable so doesn't count in my mind as a "design" element, but I really don't think the arbour goes any more.

The only thing you could do to make the arbour work is to have it lead TO something, like a little fenced vegetable garden or even a pathway, or have it be part of a fence or hedge all the way around the patio. Currently, it is just standing there for no apparent reason.

As far as where your patio should begin and end, what I think bothers me is that you patio has no overall identifiable shape. It is almost a rectangle, but it has a little extension here and then the block edging all around that defines a shape that dominates the shape of your patio. I think my eye feels like it wants the dominant shape to be that of the patio, so the blocks are maybe the wrong edging for the patio as they overpower it. And I think the patio should probably extend to the edge of the house on the pergola side.

That is a nice pergola, by the way (and Saypoint, I'm sure your septic system is lovely). The pergola kind of raises the bar for what is situated around it. It also leaves the dining set looking a little naked. Have you considered moving the table and chairs under the pergola?

Hope that helps.

KarinL

• chary68
    15 years ago

My first impression was that the table and chairs need to go under the pergola. (but upon further thinking I am of the opinion that the swing/slider needs to under the pergola) The kids need to go elsewhere...maybe a covered sandbox to hang out in? Their picnic table can go next to it. Design a play yard for them.
    The arbor is too "dainty" compared to the pergola. Maybe you can use it in the front yard or side yard? Maybe grow Wisteria on the pergola? I don't know how fast it grows, probably will take a while to cover it if it will grow where you are. I have a couple of vines that I planted last year. So far they've reached about 14/16 inches tall.
    Just some ideas..they're like pennies. Cheap and everyone has them. :0)

• bahia
    15 years ago

Had you considered using stucco to cover the concrete masonry block supports for the arbor? It would look a lot better if it matched the house, and seemed planned, rather than needing to bring the height up to rise above the window trim. I agree with the others that the trellis looks insubstantial in comparison with the arbor, and would perhaps look better in another part of the yard. Same with the porch swing, could this be relocated under a tree, or in a further part of the yard that you would have to walk out to?

Adding large containers with either foliage or color plantings would also help humanize the patio, both under the arbor and again at the edge of the patio adjacent the table. I also agree with the others that the raised concrete edging doesn't really add much to the design, and could best be deleted altogether. Adding a hedge of boxwood or lavender or something similar would also reinforce the whole design. Similarly, adding a vine over the arbor would also make it seem more inviting, such as a grape vine, or a kiwi vine or wisteria. I don't know if you want additional shade at the sunny part of the patio, but perhaps adding a small flowering tree or two at the edges would also finish off the design, and make it seem more like a garden room that adjoins the lawn.

• inkognito
    15 years ago

Are you still with us zilya?

• amac
    15 years ago

Ok, I usually don't post much, but your request for help really has me thinking.

First, I want to say that I think your house looks great. The pergola is very nice and I really like the pavers too. I would not add concrete - if you really feel that you need more space, then I would add more pavers out toward the glider.

I do not think you need to spend a lot of money on this project, as I think you have a great start all ready. I personally just think you need to edit some of your things - less is more in my opinion. This could be really classy. I think you need to remove the glider, kids picnic table, arbor and landscape block.

Then if you could just remove the weeds around the patio and in the pavers. Also, think about possibly getting a teak storage bin for the kids toys that can be put away after play and one of those "pots" to store your hose in.

I agree with the others that a simple row of "green velvet" boxwoods around the patio would define the patio and give a really upscale look to your already beautiful home.

You have a great start - I think it just needs to be freshened up and decluttered. Oh, and don't forget to "enclose" the blocks under the columns of the pergola. I really like the stucco idea.

Just these simple things would make a huge impact in my humble opinion.

• pzelko
    15 years ago

okay folks he doesnt like weeds!! get out there and pull them up!! lets be serious here!!