Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tyson1_gw

Bermuda

tyson1
10 years ago

Does this look like a form of bermuda grass or a type of weed?

I moved into a newly built house last year. The builder had sodded a small section of the front yard with bermuda.

On about May 15th; I seeded about a 50x70' section of my front yard w/ a bermuda blend. These new plants do not look like the same consistency of the sodded bermuda. The sodded is much finer.

Comments (12)

• PRO
    Yardvaark
    10 years ago

What you're holding in the picture is no type of Bermuda grass. It's crabgrass or one of the other many annual weed grasses that sprout by the kazillions when the temperatures warm up.

FYI, you will not be able to grow nice, well mannered low-growing Bermuda like your sod, from seed. The sods are either specially bred hybrids or clones. Seed grown bermuda is taller, coarse by comparison, more aggressive, produces seed heads, is difficult to eradicate and is a thug when it invades flower and landscape beds.

• tyson1
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I thought it was more of a weed, but was hoping for the other.

I'm not looking for it to be a complete match to the existing sod, just similar.

on that thought, my entire section of seed, all appears to be that annual weed.

What should my next plan of action be?

• tyson1
    Original Author
    10 years ago

section of the sod

• tyson1
    Original Author
    10 years ago

a small section of planted seed (between road and sidewalk)

• tyson1
    Original Author
    10 years ago

main section of seed... all appearing to be that annual weed

• PRO
    Yardvaark
    10 years ago

I don't know what you can do now (maybe someone else does) but next year before these annual grasses germinate, apply pre-emergent herbicide to the entire infested lawn area. This will kill the weed grass seeds immediately after they germinate. (If you used it now it would also kill the germinating bermuda that is soon to follow.)

• duluthinbloomz4
    10 years ago

Looks like crabgrass to me.

• tyson1
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I checked out there a larger area today. Seems I do have some sections of bermuda growing in; but a lot of weeds.

Would it be worth it to get 1 pallet of sod, and scatter it throughout the 3500 sqft?

• tyson1
    Original Author
    10 years ago

bermuda section growing in

• PRO
    Yardvaark
    10 years ago

No. do not mix in sod. It will been a mess.

• PRO
    Yardvaark
    10 years ago

double post deleted

This post was edited by Yardvaark on Sun, Jun 2, 13 at 23:15

• pls8xx
    10 years ago

As others have said the broad leaf grass is probably crabgrass, an annual. There also appears to be a finer bladed grass that could be Bermuda that was already in the soil. If it is Bermuda, it's not from the seed sowed a few weeks ago. Bermuda can be a little slow to germinate and when it does come up it will be a very fine green hair like structure.

I agree only in part with yardvaark on the result that can be obtained with common Bermuda seed versus one of the special low growing Bermuda sod grasses. Common Bermuda seed has a variety of genetics for each seed that will produce plants of different sizes. If early mowing is done at a higher or standard level, the larger plants are favored and the lower growing plants are shaded out. The results is as yardvaark stated, a lawn that is inferior to the named varieties of sod. But if the early mowing is done very short, then the lower growing plants are favored, leading to a lawn much like the named varieties. Please note; low mowing of the tiny Bermuda seedlings can rip them from the ground if the mower blade is not super sharp. Watch the seedlings closely for wilting as their roots are not deep.

I would recommend you begin a low mowing schedule about every 4 days at about a three quarters inch height. Around mid August I would raise the mower height to about 2 inches for around 10 days. Then scalp the lawn back to the lower height. Much of the crabgrass and some of the larger type Bermuda will be severely hurt from this, allowing the Bermuda you want to become better established.

This process will delay the early look of an established lawn but the final result for next year will be much better.