Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tmartin42

Rocks in lawn - why???

tmartin42
12 years ago

Hey folks - new to the forums, and I'm hoping you can help me figure this out. I've got a section of the yard that's shady and slightly lower in elevation. The previous owners put in a rock garden that's now a huge weed patch that's almost impossible to weed because of the rocks. Preen or anything stronger is not an option: I have a two year old and the area is highly accessible to her. I started digging them up and found a net underneath them: not a weed barrier, but a plastic net that looks like the kind they put on hillsides to prevent erosion. I'm wondering if the area was boggy and eroding, and they put the rock garden in there for drainage issues. However, I've never seen water in the rocks and there's no pond there. It is, however, the buggiest section of the yard. Mosquitos just love it there.

So, question 1: why the net? Do you think the area had drainage problems the rocks are intended to solve?

and Question 2: if so, what would you do there? I'm planning to weed barrier and put some pavers for now. Any other thoughts?

Comments (2)

Sponsored
Landscape Management Group
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
High Quality Landscaping Services in Columbus