Return to the Landscape Design Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Going to lay paver walkway, where should I end it?

Posted by JakeFV CT (My Page) on
Sun, Jun 23, 13 at 19:00

Not sure why previous owners used asphalt for the little walkway but anyways, I want to tear it up and put down pavers.

The current walkway is asphalt thats part of the driveway and the yard and front area by window arent even. There's also a pitch where the asphalt walkway merges with the driveway. I have no idea where I should have my paver walkway end.

Heres a link to two pictures http://postimg.org/gallery/79z9nj32/

Any ideas are appreciated.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Going to lay paver walkway, where should I end it?

You don't show enough of the curve on the grass side or state how much of the walk area you desire or need to replace, so I'm guessing what you have and what you want. Let me know if I'm wrong. I see three possibilities. "A" and "A' " are essentially the same thing, depending on how much you wish to penetrate into the drive area. Note that all leading edges of proposed walks tie into the sides (grass or retaining wall) at 90*... not an some funky, awkward looking angle. Option "B"--the "S" curve--comes off of the straight portion of the grass and wall. It does not exceed into the radius portions of either. Option "C" --which is determined by the shortest straight section (at the wall, not the grass) is the easiest to calculate and construct ... but it may not create as much change (from asphalt to paver) as you wish.

o

Thanks Yardvaark,

Ill post another pic soon.

o

Here is another pic. Once I figure out where I should end it, then the tricky part (at least for me because ive never done a paved walkway before) is dealing with the decline. As the asphalt walkway goes toward the driveway, its not level, it kinda goes down at a slight angle in the spot closest to the grass. Kind of hard to tell from the picture.

o

The same options would hold.

o

Definitely option A. You need the new walkway to slope for good drainage. Just follow the existing slope. No need for a step or anything.

o

I personally would opt for something shaped more like line B but closer to where A' is located.

Go to the hardware store and by some striping paint and experiment with lines before committing to one.

o

---->Go to the hardware store and by some striping paint and experiment with lines before committing to one.
----

Initially, I use sidewalk chalk, using a different color per option to separate them visually. A hose or broom easily eliminates results you don't like. After a favorite is chosen, I go to the paint.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Landscape Design Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here