Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
oklagirl84

Blank slate... help!

oklagirl84
10 years ago

I have spent hours upon hours looking for ideas to landscape our front yard.

What you can't see in the picture is a giant tree in the middle of the yard. Most of the area to the left is shaded a majority of the time (less than 6 hours of sun). The area under the front window gets more sun. There is a flowerbed under the front window that is about 6' deep x 11' wide. The house to the left of the porch is 20' wide and the porch is about 5.5' wide.

I will be doing all the work myself (with some help from my boyfriend after I nag him to death). I'm looking for something I can do in phases and not at once so I don't get too overwhelmed. If you have ideas can you please post plant names as well.

Thank you for any input you have!!

Comments (9)

• PRO
    Yardvaark
    10 years ago

Usually, when landscaping the front yard one is looking for a comprehensive scheme of improvements that unify and compliment the space as a whole, not just one separate part, or another. Even what is outside one's own property is important in case there is something that needs to be screened ... or remain unobstructed if it offers a positive contribution to the view. Here, you're showing a myopic view that eliminates the left, right and street-side portion of the yard, making it impossible to offer suggestions that are meaningful. Based on this picture, one could offer limited suggestions that may not work out once the whole picture was known. It would be better if you post a picture showing the whole front yard ... in the best light available.

• oklagirl84
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for your input! I have seen your advice on others' post and was hoping you'd offer some advice!! It is greatly appreciated!

Here is a link to some pictures I took when we first moved in. One thing to note is that the smaller tall tree has been removed (it was long dead). I hope the pictures are ok it is hard to get a good shot because there are both light and dark spots!

I didn't think about the things you mentioned. There is no "view" to speak of and really no privacy concerns.

The first photo is the side of my house... this is what you see as you drive up (using the main entrance to our neighborhood) we sit on a slight curve so you do see this side of the house as you drive up.

I guess my biggest concern would be concealing the foundation... and just overall aesthetics. I want something nice to come home to! I would like a cohesive look which is why I mentioned the lighting we get.. the front of the house is mostly shady while the side is full sun and the window by the porch gets mostly sun.

Thank you!!

Here is a link that might be useful: More Photos!

• PRO
    Yardvaark
    10 years ago

"There is no "view" to speak of" Usually there are some views to be hidden between a house and the neighboring houses.

The whole yard would look better if the tree was cleaned of scruffy and hanging foliage in the bottom area. What's more, doing that would show off the beauty that is built into the trunk but cannot now be seen. I've marked a couple of directions on the photos. This work would be possible with a good pole saw. Below the tree, it would be better to convert from mowed lawn to groundcover island. As long as you get rid of grass and weeds first and maintain it that way, it would be better looking in a large bed of groundcover. I'll add some other ideas in a separate post.

• oklagirl84
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Funny enough the limb that you suggested be removed was removed when the other tree was! =) Now, you suggested removing limbs/foliage below the red line and there are other large limbs below the one you suggested removing... do those have to go as well? I added a picture I took this morning to show you what was removed and you can see there is new growth as well that I can tell needs to be cleaned up.

As for the area you circled, that doesn't really stand out to me. I posted a pic from that side as well. The chain link fence I know needs to be cleaned up (both from the neighbors side and ours!) And the big tree looks far worse from this side =\

• PRO
    Yardvaark
    10 years ago

Cleaning up the the big tree does not usually mean removing the large wood. It generally means removing all the scruff and scraggle that comes off of it. The objective is to remove all foliage below a predetermined line. (I suggested the red line to give you some kind of an idea how far, but you can move it up or down based on what you see in real life.) I'm a believer in doing this along the way, not waiting until the tree is middle aged before starting ... not blessing you out here, just passing on information. If waiting too long, trees tend to turn old branches into trunks and removing them later becomes impossible.

• PRO
    Yardvaark
    10 years ago

general suggestion about shape & arrangement.

• PRO
    Yardvaark
    10 years ago

suggestions continued.

• oklagirl84
    Original Author
    10 years ago

You are amazing! Thank you so much for your advice I really needed the direction. As for the tree, I will nag my bf to death about it. I am still waiting on him to cut down two mimosa trees in the back yard that were hit by my neighbors shed (we live in Moore,Ok and so fortunate our only damage was tree damage!!).

• PRO
    Yardvaark
    10 years ago

Glad it helps. As you begin your search for plants, you might look first in your own neighborhood/town to see what is growing that would work out for the sizes, shapes and interest you need.