Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
socalgal_gw

New front porch/steps

My front steps/porch will be removed during foundation replacement so I have the opportunity to change the design when they are rebuilt. I want to use the same materials (cement with iron railing) to avoid trouble with the city historic review board, but a lighter color of cement (pinkish is typical in this neighborhood for the older Spanish style houses). All of the existing plants near the foundation and porch will be removed during the foundation repair.

The current porch/walkway design fits with the house and nicely defines the rear edge of one flowerbed (between driveway and porch/side back of house) but wastes space that I'd rather use for more plants. The porch is large (94 by 140 inches) and a big bare space. It gets too hot for potted plants, especially since it is painted dark red and holds the heat well into the evening. I never sit out there. To me, the only purpose for this porch is to have someplace to stand once you reach the top of the steps. Another problem is that the current design of the walkway makes the bed between the house and the steps/walkway fairly narrow.

Steps straight from the door to the driveway would maximize gardening space but I don't think it would look good because that would leave a strange garden "inlet" to their left (looking from the driveway). I want to be sure that the new position of the railing doesn't intersect the window that faces the street. I want to be sure the mailman can reach the mail slot (to the right of the front door).

I'd appreciate ideas, or criticism of my idea. I'll attach more photos and drawings of the existing layout and my idea in the following posts.

p.s. If anyone can think of a way to put an awning or something similar over the front door without it looking like it was just stuck onto the house that would be marvelous!

Comments (7)

Sponsored
Winks Remodeling & Handyman Services
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County