Return to the Landscape Design Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
suggestions for trees on parking strip

Posted by purdydirty portland OR (My Page) on
Thu, Jun 22, 06 at 20:31

My neighbor across the street has a cherry and a thundercloud plumb planted in the parking strip. They are both dying. The parking strip is basicly gravel with a little bit of dirt instead of the other way around, but I see that there are other trees planted further down the street in the same parking strip. Anyway... full days sunshine, horrible soil, want a tree that isnt likely to grow over 20ft (power lines) but that will have a wide canopy. Any suggestions?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: suggestions for trees on parking strip

This forum is provided for the discussion of the technical and aesthetic issues involved in landscape and garden DESIGN.

Please ask your question on the TREES forum.

Here is a link that might be useful: Trees Forum

o

• Posted by laag z6CapeCod (My Page) on
    Thu, Jun 22, 06 at 22:15

Trees in parking strips have no aesthetic issues?

Why do I wonder about the flight of the design professionals that used to be here?

o

• Posted by tibs 5/6 OH (My Page) on
    Thu, Jun 22, 06 at 22:16

The parking strip is probably contolled by the city of Portland which I think has a very strict tree planting and removal program. Call the city or get on their website and see what you can or can do in the parking strip.

o

:-) Of course they do, Andrew, but I didn't see a landscape design question in the opening post. Did you? I didn't mean to be offensive. It just seemed to me that the Trees forum was a better place to ask the question, which is not to say or imply that members of this forum couldn't offer good suggestions too.

From the start page of the Trees Forum:
This forum is meant for the discussion of trees--how to grow them, recommendations for selections, sources for plants, etc.

If you are implying that I have contributed to the flight of design professionals from this forum, I must say that surprises me. I think if you read over my posts about the design pros here, I have repeatedly been supportive of them and expressed my gratitude for what I have learned from them. I had not idea I was stepping on your toes.

o

Purdydirty,
If you are still checking this thread, I'd like to suggest that you contact Friends of Trees (Portland). They helped a friend of mine select some nice parrotia persica trees for her curb planting strip and they offered help getting the trees planted and checked back to make sure they were doing well. Let us know what you end up with!

zz

o

• Posted by bboy z8 WA USA (My Page) on
    Fri, Jun 23, 06 at 0:30

If the decline is coming on now, neighbor's trees probably just need to be watered. Wilting would be a definite hint.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Landscape Design Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here