Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
paintedpeggies

Front patio/landscape help!

So. We bought our house new, but we were not the ones to build it. We have a tiny bit of landscaping done. Our soil is practically solid rock.

There are no front steps, and a weird half concrete, half tile patio in the front. I have *tried* to make it look inviting, but it doesn't at all. We were thinking of ripping up the entire patio and maybe putting pavers?

I am open to any and all advice, big and small. I don't have a huge budget, but can add year by year.

thanks!

{{gwi:37664}}

{{gwi:37665}}

{{gwi:37666}}

{{gwi:37667}}

Comments (7)

• catkim
    10 years ago

Your photos reveal a lot, but could you please add one more photo showing the entire house?

• gyr_falcon
    10 years ago

The rectangle shape of the paver section of the patio is not doing you any favors. It is possible that just rearranging some of the tiles to change the shape, then adding some plants to compliment the new design would improve the feeling of your patio. Before coming up with some suggestions, it is necessary to learn the ways you use the porch/patio, and your usual walk patterns (typical route from the driveway to the front door, for example).

• Kippy
    10 years ago

If it was my front patio/porch I would buy enough of the matching pavers to go over the existing concrete pad. That pad is not something I would remove. If both materials matched they would have some unity.

Then I would decide how I wanted to use the space. I notice the childs toy, is that a place you want to sit and visit with neighbors or watch kids play on the lawn. Or is it just for an entry to the house.

Next I would figure out what zone I was in and what plants grow best for my location.

And then think about if you want to add a second path up to the main section, how you might want to define the edge of the patio and the lawn (planter-hedge-fence)

And last, how interested you are in gardening yourself or if you have a mow-blow-go service and need something more appropriate to their type of gardening.

But just my thoughts

• PRO
    Yardvaark
    10 years ago

what is the construction of the tiled area ... on conc. slab or is it a type of paver on granular base? Is it in good, solid condition?

• Painted Peggies (zone 6a)
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I am in NY, I think zone 5.

We have 3 kids and they all play in the front. Our yard is mostly front yard, just a sliver in the back. So my husband and I, and any guests, usually use the front to sit and watch the kids. Our house is far back from the road, no visible neighbors.

The pavers are on dirt. I considered changing them for more planting area.

We usually enter the house by driving into the garage and entering from in the garage, or from the driveway to the front door. Our other door is the slider to the deck in back, which we never use unless we are going out to the deck.

• maryinthefalls
    10 years ago

Two ideas. One is to remove a few of the outer stones and put in low plants instead. If you look on houzz.com under formal gardens, you see many of these checkerboard plantings. Another idea is to enclose the area with a white picket fence and put a bed on the outside. You could then add a tree to fill up your empty space. The fence wouldn't have to go all the way to the house and you could have a stepping stone path out the side. This could be fun!

• frankielynnsie
    10 years ago

If you don't need the paver area for a patio, pull them all out and use them for a walkway to the drive for guests coming to the front door and put a bed between the walkway and porch.