Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lkplatow

Where can I get short lengths of hose?

lkplatow
16 years ago

I don't know if this is the proper forum for this, but I can't find anywhere else better suited so I'll ask here. We recently had landscaping installed in several beds around the house. The landscapers installed soaker hoses in the beds and left the ends sticking up out of the mulch for us to connect our garden hoses to. The problem is that these ends are anywhere from 8 - 12 ft from our hose bibbs. It looks kind of sloppy to have a whole 25 ft hose trailing across the beds to reach the soaker hose hookup. What I'd like to get is an 8 ft (or whatever size) hose that I could hook up permanently to the soaker hose and bury in the mulch, bringing it out directly next to the hose bib. That way I could just screw it on and off the hose bib when necessary without worrying about dragging out the regular hose.

I've been googling like mad with no luck. Do they make garden hose in lengths shorter than 25'? Where can I find some? Thanks!

Comments (10)

• karinl
    16 years ago

Lee Valley sells a six-foot hose.

Funnily enough they only list it as an accessory to this free-standing faucet, but I have gone and bought a bunch of them separately.

They do mail order.

Here is a link that might be useful: Faucet Extension

• annzgw
    16 years ago

Buy a length of 1/2" drip tubing, cut it to the length needed and then attach swivel adapters to each end. Attach one end to the soaker hose, bury in the mulch and then attach a short length of hose a the hose bib end.
    It's best to use hose for the run to the faucet since the tubing may tend to kink .

Lowes or HD often carry 10" lengths of the tubing, or you can try an irrigation supply business. BTW, you'll need a male & female hose adapter........the site carries both.

Here is a link that might be useful: drip line accessories

• Saypoint zone 6 CT
    16 years ago

I make shorter hoses all the time out of old hoses as janetpetiole describes. The hose ends are available everywhere, and are easy to connect. I use an old pair or pruners or an old serrated kitchen knife to cut the hose.

• mjsee
    16 years ago

Came in here to say what janetpetiole and saypoint said...so I will slink out quietly.

melanie

• mad_gallica (z5 Eastern NY)
    16 years ago

Often, people will throw out old hose with a leak or two, or give them away at garage sales, etc. So long as the length you need is intact, the hose can be cut into whatever you want.

Depending on exactly how this works, there are also quick-connect hose ends available, besides the usual threaded ones.

• treelover
    16 years ago

Thank goodness fittings are cheap and it's easy to shorten hoses, since I manage to drive over the ends with my truck on a regular basis.

That reminds me...I need to buy a new spray nozzle. That was the latest casualty. (It's not that I don't put my equipment away; it happens while I'm working on a project and unloading stuff from the bed of the truck.)

• red_geranium
    16 years ago

About once a year a yardman will go over our exposed soakers with the lawnmower and we end up with plenty of short lengths. These we reuse, adding new fittings (from HD) and they are very very handy for smaller beds. It is easy and fast to add the fittings.

• davidandkasie
    16 years ago

i buy bulk hose and ends from ebay and make mine to whatever length i need. for example, i bought 500' of soaker hose in bulk for 45.00 SHIPPED, plus a bunch of ends for maybe 20 bucks. total investment, 65.00. if i had bought the hoses at wally world or lowes, it would have cost well over 100.00 to do the same thing. but my way i don't have excess hose coiled everywhere!

• lkplatow
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks mucho! I found the hose ends at my local Squall-mart today. I have a hose with a few leaks but I've still been using it - as soon as I get a replacement I'm going to hack it up into bits and make little baby hoses. Thanks again!