Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
txmom1972

Over planted - now what?

txmom
13 years ago

We hired a landscaper (or that's what he called himself) 3 years ago. I showed him shrubs that I like, but my husband felt we needed to leave it up to the 'expert' to do the design. (bad move)

I asked for 'the plan' but he only wanted to talk to my husband...and my husband truly didn't care what they did or what it cost. When I would make suggestions I got a look like I was crazy questioning what he was doing.

So, he bought several of EVERY bush I mentioned that I liked and planted everything really close together in a fairly narrow (depth) bed.

Did I mention we told him we wanted low maintenance and hated the overgrown bushes he had just pulled out for me?

And, here we are 3 years later and everything is all grown together and my husband wants to just run through it all and box it up - like a bunch of hedges - while I like a more natural look.

I guess I want to know --- where would you go from here?

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:37685}}

Comments (14)

• txmom
    Original Author
    13 years ago

And the to the right of that first picture

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:37686}}

• txmom
    Original Author
    13 years ago

So this is the front yard now...I keep trimming to keep it all low

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:37687}}

• isabella__MA
    13 years ago

Well the design itself seems to be a traditional foundation planting scheme that hugs the house very tightly as you mentioned. I don't really see the overplanting aspect of it, as the nandinas to the right corner haven't grown together yet.

If there a lot of visible mulch gaps between shrubs the plantings look immature, so the grown together look has a more mature aspect to it.

The overgrown aspect of it would be in my view, the tight grouping of shrubs near the walkway where it turns to meet the front door. It does make the space rather tight

• stolenidentity
    13 years ago

txmom, your 2010 link invoked a site unsafe and threat warning when I clicked it. What's up with that? Can you put your pics up on this thread? I won't click on your links, and caution others not to either.

• danielj_2009
    13 years ago

txmom, your 2010 link invoked a site unsafe and threat warning when I clicked it. What's up with that? Can you put your pics up on this thread? I won't click on your links, and caution others not to either.

I had no problem with it. They are just simple photobucket images.

• tibs
    13 years ago

Make your beds bigger, so the shrubs can expand without getting in the way of the mower man (a deadly sin in my household). Pull out every other bush so those remaining can have the natural look you want.

• txmom
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Don't know what the "unsafe" message is all about - it's just a bunch of pix on Photobucket.
    Tibs - I think that the solution I'm looking for is what you're suggesting. I can't stand the "hedge" look we're getting across the front.
    I like something that is more "dimensional" - just don't know how to explain what I mean or draw a plan for what it is I like.
    Just know I don't like where this planting is heading.
    And those tall bushes with the "ring around" of other bushes which actually repeats 3 times across the front of the house...just strange as far as I'm concerned.
    Thanks for looking!

• mjsee
    13 years ago

I like something that is more "dimensional" - just don't know how to explain what I mean or draw a plan for what it is I like.

Try enlarging the beds as suggested and grouping your shrubs in odd numbers...with space between them. And mix it up a bit. I'm too tired to come up with a drawing to scan today (I helped prime the interior of a new-build this afternoon) but I'll try and come up with something Monday. (Working tomorrow.)

melanie

• ilikemud_2007
    13 years ago

Is there a reason that tree is still staked? It looks rather mature and substantial.
    I agree that the beds should be expanded. How about pulling that light post into a bed?
    What are the shrubs? I can't tell from the pictures.

• lazy_gardens
    13 years ago

If shrubs are all squashed together, take some out: prune it down to the ground or slightly below it (dig around it and prune, then cover up the root area with mulch). That will leave the others room to fluff out, and get rid of the hedge look.

Why is that tree still staked? Remove the stakes before they strangle the tree.

I would remove the two tall green things nearest the door because they are hiding it. I have this thing about making clearly visible entry areas.

QUESTION: Is your husband happy with the amount of maintenance now? If he starts making tombstones of the shrubs, the maintenance will go way up.

• txmom
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I knew there would be people on these forums that actually would understand what I'm trying to say...thank you!
    I don't "ALLOW" my husband to trim the bushes other than those ugly ligustrums. However, he does watch me pretty closely and has his "tolerance level" - this sounds dastardly - like he's some sort of BUSH NAZI...we just have a tug of war over what he likes, vs what I like and I want us to both "like" what we end up with - or at least be willing to live with it.
    I don't remember the names of the bushes. Nandina? Texas Sage, Ligustrum and Barbary?
    I'll look it up - I have it all listed somewhere.
    We had a few bad wind storms and I think that is why the tree is still staked - that and my husband is currentlly having some health issues that keep him from doing much outside the house.

• mjsee
    13 years ago

Those puny little stakes are not keeping that tree from going over...feel free to remove them.

• missingtheobvious
    13 years ago

Remove the largest bushes in front of the front door (they hide the front door, make the house look unwelcoming, and may create a security hazard). When that's done, consider moving or removing some or all of the smaller bushes in front of the front door.

Expand that bed to include the light post. Then plant that bed (the area where you removed the shrubs and the new area around the light post) with the same annuals you're using around the tree. If you removed most or all of the shrubs, consider adding a short evergreen groundcover to provide some structure and year-round interest. I have no idea what's appropriate for your zone and exposure and is easy to locate, so ask at the garden center. [I tend to think in terms of prostrate juniper; low winter-flowering heather; a low, spreading Japanese round-leaf holly (sorry, but I don't know the cultivar); German winter thyme (larger leaves and heartier than simple winter thyme); or candytuft for situations like that.]

Things you may not be able to accomplish: I'd also remove the small green meatball next to the purple bushes and replace it with one of the purple bushes. And let the large green bush at the corner develop a natural shape. If the budget will run to deepening the bed along the front of the house, you'd be able to plant something lower in front of the purple shrubs, which might help make them seem less like a fortress wall.

• fouquieria
    13 years ago

I think most of it looks fine...except for the high maintenance, water sucking lake of green in the middle. The tidiness of it is a little unsettling. I'd just cut into the lawn more and plant lower growing things in front of what you already have.
    Whoever does the gardening and maintenance should make the decisions.

-Ron-

Here is a link that might be useful: Vote Early/Vote Often