Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tigereye

Rubber Mulch Advice

tigereye
10 years ago

We bought this house last summer. I have a large planting area in the front of the house that former owners mulched deep in rubber mulch. Well, I was pretty clueless on this and with so much to think about didn't pay much attention. Well, I noticed last August how bad it stunk when it was hot. I could not sit in the front of the house it smells so much. Husband doesn't notice and neither do my kids. Guess I am sensitive to it.
I advertised on Craigslist and have 2 people come and get it and they have actually gotten most of it except a thin layer. It no longer smells so bad. I'm not able to do all the work to completely dig it out and husband isn't either. Since I don't ever plan on putting veggies in there I am thinking of just covering it with mulch. I was going to go with dark brown but now thinking a red is what it is going to have to be since the rubber was red and will probably get mixed up some over time with planting flowers. What a pain! I see a lot of people remove it but there must be some that like it.
Anyway, I just thought I would through this out as food for thought.
The picture is just part of the front there is twice as much as shown :(

Comments (5)