Return to the Landscape Design Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Before we get some bids...

Posted by aloha2009 5 (My Page) on
Wed, Jun 12, 13 at 21:43

Before we start getting bids.

If there is anyone out there with any more patience to help with this final bit of hardscaping, I would appreciate your help.

We finally got the 3 patios poured in the fall and have been planting a lot this spring! It’s soooo nice to see it all coming together.

We need to finish off the hardscaping by having additional steps to a lower level. Since we knew we didn’t want concrete for the steps, we figured we’d wait till now to finish things off.

Three options we’re down to are 8’ wide steps going down approx. 30” to a lower level directly in the middle of the yard and main patio. Though we’d have to traverse around a 4’ patio table, it seems the quickest and easiest route, while also the most expensive I’m sure. Concerns of “chopping” up the already shallow yard are of concern too.

The second option would be to traverse to the side approx. 35’ to stairs to the lower level. This would be in the corner and would be able to be built much less expensive. On the opposite end of the backyard is a firepit area with steps from it going to the lower level. This would balance the steps out more but is substantially out of the way of the main path that would be taken to the lower level, especially considering we’d likely end up about where the 8’ wide steps would have taken us, for about 70’ round trip out of our way.

A third option would be just to do nothing and use the firepit area steps as they are now, which is approx. 35’ the opposite direction of option 2. In some ways it seems if what we have now doesn’t quite work, the likelihood of using option 2 likely won’t give us much other than possibly depositing us on the opposite end and possibly using that area of the lower level more.

All options (especially option 3 doing nothing) are within our budget. Is there anything that I might be missing and should consider? To completely finish installing plants we need to finalize a decision on this so we’re not yanking plants out down the line.

We still haven't gotten an updated pic of the overall backyard but hopefully this will help to better understand what I'm asking.

TIA

Overall backyard photo BY-overallSouth.jpg

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Before we get some bids...

Your picture and description tells me absolutely nothing about where your options would be. I don't see a firepit area so can't even use that as a frame of reference to figure out what you're describing.

I really think an updated picture would be best to get any good response that also makes sense as to what you already have.

o
RE: Before we get some bids...

i would go with option 3. There is enough hardscape going on, some color would be nice. Cool place!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Landscape Design Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here