Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lovetoshop_gw

Vinyl or Wood Fence and Patio Cover

lovetoshop
12 years ago

We currently have a 20 year old wood fence. We are about to gut our backyard and redo it and need to either have the fence repaired or get a new one. We will be sharing the cost with the neighbor on each side of us.

Option A: REPAIR and FRESH PAINT

One of the fence guys we had out for a quote told us that the wood is in good condition and he could repair the fence for us. Currently the fence is only 5' which is really low so if we replaced it we would put in a 6' fence. Repairing would save a lot of money, but realistically how much longer will this fence last and with our brand new yard will the 5' wooden fence look dated? Also, we plan to put in hedges which will cover about half of the fence, so down the road when we do need to replace the fence will it wreck the hedges? Our share of the cost for repair and fresh paint: $1230 (total cost $2220)

Option B: NEW WOOD FENCE

Putting in a new 6' wood fence. Our share of the cost for a new wood fence including having it painted $2695 (total cost $4670)

Option C: NEW VINYL FENCE

Putting in a new tan colored vinyl 6' privacy fance. Our share would be $2960 (total cost $5049)

While I do like the look of both vinyl and painted wood, the vinyl looks really fresh and clean and had zero upkeep. For either new wood or vinyl the initial cost is really close so it then comes down to which we think would look better. My only worry with vinly is that when you knock on it, it has a plastic feel, but really how often do I knock on my fence :)

What do you all think and what is your experience with vinyl fencing?

PATIO COVER:

The initial cost is about the same for both. Would you match the materials used for the fence?

Thank you!!

Comments (2)