Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
yard_man52

Retaining Wall Question

Yard_Man52
10 years ago

I am building a retaining wall of 6 sided concrete stacking blocks with the lip on the back. The wall will be about 2 1/2 ft tall. Because this wall will be sandwiched between the property line and the existing 4x4 wooden posts of the fence, which is 1 ft inside the property line, I am forced to build this wall vertical by chipping off the lip from each block. I am squirting copious amounts of landscaping caulk / glue between each course of blocks virtually gluing each block to another as I build higher. Behind the wall will be a 4 in diameter perforated drainpipe at the bottom and every 1 foot of height. I am filling the space directly behind the wall with crushed limestone gravel, sized 1/2 to 3/4 inches. This layer of limestone will be about 3 ft wide and 2 ft high behind the wall. The entire side of the backyard drops down about 3 feet and I am trying to level that side of the back yard. The fence planks will be replaced higher behind the top course of blocks. The question is: Will this wall be stable with the drains and this amount of crushed gravel or do I still need some type of anchors inside the wall? If anchors are needed how far apart should they be? I live in SE Tennessee; winter freezes are not excessive or long lived, so frost heave should not be a problem. The wall will be on a footing of 4 inches of packed limestone crushed run. The wall will be a straight wall about 60 ft long.

Thanks for any advice or suggestions!
Yard_Man52

Comments (4)