Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
amelieny1

Small Sloped Front Yard - (Southern NY - 6a)

amelieny1
9 years ago

Hello:

We purchased the home a couple of years ago and plan on redoing some of the hardscaping, not really remodeling much, just fixing what is broken and actually making it look decent.

Ideally would like a low maintenance front yard, because the steep slope is not conducive for regular gardening. Shrubs that will have a presence in the winter and a mix of perennials for the other seasons.

I would like a low border on the left. After we do the hardscape work, against the top of the slope, which will be the border to our landing leading to the front stoop, a row of highbush, perhaps...

We have some snow in summer in that crescent in the center of the slope and think we should add some purple salvia perhaps...

Comments (7)

• amelieny1
    Original Author
    9 years ago

To expand, our house is not very pretty, others on the block are. Landscape is the lowest hanging fruit at the moment as far as improvements. Starting from the left, on the left of the slope going down the slope along the blurred image which is the property line... I thinking of a low hedge, maybe a spirea with flowers that would compliment the Japanese Maple at the top of the hill on the left. Back at the top left in front of the Japanese Maple we would like an evergreen, hinoki. In that same area I have an enkianthus. So, perhaps pulling those two together??? Maybe we will need another Hinoki up there and other plants to bring it together. Then, as mentioned in the first message, across the top of the slope a row of Highbush. On the top corner, maybe another hinoki dwarf (3-4 ft tall). Down the right slope bordering the driveway... I have no ideas. Just behind the retaining wall there is a row of small boxwoods, but I dont love it. Maybe a creeping evergreen? Not Sure. On the street level next to the truck there is a small patch with some type of Ilex Crenata shrub. I am thinking of keeping and having a mized perennial garden there of tame showy perennials. Behind that is another retaining wall and two large Yews. I want to remove them and possibly insert an herb or small veg. garden in between some hydrangeas. All the way at the top, at the right corner of the house, not sure what would go there but I think we need something with height in that corner. Now that I write it out, it seems like too much for such a small area...:-/

• PRO
    Yardvaark
    9 years ago

explained in pic

• amelieny1
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Yardvaark, thank you so much. Great ideas. I will start looking...

• PRO
    Yardvaark
    9 years ago

Awnings and such might really help the house.

• amelieny1
    Original Author
    9 years ago

yes, we will look into Pergola type additions at the left side of the house and also maybe over the garage and front door. Altough all of the windows in the front could use them as well. thank you!

• amelieny1
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hello Yardvaark, for the upright and arching shrubs on the left do you recommend deciduous or evergreens or a mix? I see more deciduous arching shrubs to choose from, but do you recommend evergreens for both?

• PRO
    Yardvaark
    9 years ago

Keep in mind that I'm showing a general solution. That arching-branch shrub might be forsythia, or it might be 3 large ornamental grasses (such as Miscanthus ... which provide some winter interest) in a fairly tight cluster ... or it could be an evergreen that you see growing in your area that I don't know about. I actually appreciate deciduous plants for their winter interest. Some, after enough time, can develop thick and brushy branching and still hide, or at least distract from what's behind. Much depends on what grows there and what's available to you. Look and ask around locally what plants might these might could be and try to come up with something that provides more than just springtime interest. And it depends on how much deciduous you are willing to tolerate. Others here might offer some specific suggestions. I'm sure some of them know various evergreens better than myself. And don't forget to match the plant choice with the actual light conditions produced by the nearby trees and buildings.

Sponsored
Landscape Concepts of Fairfax, Inc.
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars17 Reviews
Northern VA's Creative Team of Landscape Designers & Horticulturists