Return to the Landscape Design Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
need some ideas - bee unfriendly plants

Posted by gardengal48 PNW zone 8 (My Page) on
Tue, Jun 7, 11 at 22:36

I have a design project in the works for clients with a bee-allergic dog. If it were the clients themselves that were allergic, I wouldn't have as many concerns, but dogs will chase and snap at bees so I really have to reduce the number of plants that are likely to attract them.

I do have a pretty good list going - conifers and other wind pollinated trees, winter flowering plants (too early for bees), ornamental grasses (which the clients don't care for!), a few perennials and herbs, but I'd really like to increase my selection of shrubs, both deciduous and evergreen. I know that those with small urn-shaped blossoms and those with long tubular flowers are less inclined to be visited by bees but does anyone have any other suggestions?

Thanks for any help.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: need some ideas - bee unfriendly plants

I was just looking through the Fine Gardening website and they had an article on bee-free pool landscaping. I remembered your post here.

Good luck with the design.

Here is a link that might be useful: fine gardening article

o

You mentioned grasses, I can't see how they would object to something so colorful as Japanese Forest Grass 'Aureola' or some of the Japanese Sedges such as C. elata 'Bowles Golden', or C. morrowii 'Ice Dance'. I like Carex glauca too for it's steel blue color.

Tellima grandiflora, Heucheras, Heucherellas, Tiarella, Variegated Solomon's Seal, P. humile, P. biflorum, Pulmonaria - the flowers are so tiny on all of these but many are variegated or just have interesting shapes and texture or all three. Lots of Ferns - Japanese Painted, Ghost Fern. Also comes to mind some of the gingers like European, Asian and Canadian and Mayapple. The flowers sit tucked underneathe the plants.

I am jealous as some of these selections would languish here in the Midwest; others do very well but all would look spectacular in your part of the country.

o

• Posted by bboy USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA (My Page) on
    Sat, Jun 11, 11 at 17:51

I see bumble bees on lots of urn-shaped flowers.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Landscape Design Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here