Return to the Landscape Design Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Need small tree suggestion for my huge brick wall. (PICS)

Posted by cosmo_kramer Nac, TX Z8 (My Page) on
Fri, Jun 18, 10 at 22:52

I need to get this side of my house landscaped and I'm not sure what I should do here. I'm thinking I need a small tree or very tall columnar shrub for the center of the wall. I really would like to have a crape myrtle in that spot, but am also considering an emerald green arbovite, or blue point juniper. I'm hoping to get some suggestions for the entire wall, so have at it. This is a west facing wall and it is pretty much in full sun for most of the afternoon. The front of the house has indian hawthorns, sky pencils on the corners, and a white spirea on the left corner. I purchased a medium sized tuscarora crape myrtle to plant in the center of the wall, about 7 ft out, but found out the tag was incorrect on the mature size of the tree. It claimed to be 12-15 ft tall and wide, but it turns out that this one gets about twice that size. Here is a link to my album. Its the left hand side of the house. Just copy and paste into your browser.

http://picasaweb.google.com/bjennings79/House?authkey=Gv1sRgCKq73pyg2eOI4AE#5484309594956373410

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Need small tree suggestion for my huge brick wall. (PICS)

o

Thanks a lot. Wasn't sure how to make an actual link of it.

o

• Posted by tibs 5/6 OH (My Page) on
    Sat, Jun 19, 10 at 16:31

Windows. Not meaning to sound like a smarta$$, but if you don't have near neighbors on that side and it is not all closets or something on the inside, I would add windows. Looks like you have a houseplan for a zero lot setback style subdivision, but are on a bigger lot. Other than that, trellis with a vine. Or esplanade trees (and I know I spelled that wrong), where the trees are trained flat to the wall. Don't have plant suggestions, not familiar with what grows well in your part of the country.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Landscape Design Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here