Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tcmravens

Landscaping and Geothermal HVAC system

tcmravens
16 years ago

This may be a dumb question but I will ask anyway. I have a geothermal HVAC system in my new house. It uses a horizontal (slinky) loop for heat exchange. The loop is buried about 6-8 ft in the ground and it covers most of the front yard. Does anyone know of any landscaping restrictions for the area where the loop is buried? Specifically, trees and/or shrubs that may have invasive roots. Thanks.

Comments (13)

• tyhawk
    16 years ago

I doubt there is a problem considering its so deep and there are no openings in that system where roots can cause trouble but I would ask a expert in that field. Call an installer and see what he says. I would like to hear the answer just for curiosities sake.

• bobhome
    16 years ago

With the geo thermal down 6 feet or more you should have no problem for over 20 years with roots. By the way - I am building a new house and considering geo thermal - how is it working for you?

• tcmravens
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Our geothermal is great. My house is about 5000 sq ft and my electric bill averaged about $220 per month. I calculate that we have about a 40% saving on the cost epr sq ft to heat and cool the house. Its more expensive to install but if you plan to stay in the house a while you will get it back in relatively short period.

• modern1
    16 years ago

Hi, I'm trying to find a certified Geothermal designer/builder in the area. I'm in Ellicott City, 21043. What contractor did you use and would you recommend them?

Thanks,
    Deb

• tcmravens
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I used a company called Total Energy Concepts in Harford County, MD. Ask for Terry and tell him that I (Tony in Street, MD) referred his company to you. The system continues to perform well.

• sunnyflies
    14 years ago

What brand system do you have ? Are you still pleased with it? I am looking into them now and would appreciate any info. In my area they are wildly expensive - think twice yours.
    Thanks!

• bluebama
    13 years ago

We were considering replacing our creaky old heat pump with a geothermal system - even with the high initial investment - until we began having ginormous problems with roots in our old terra cotta sewer line. The twenty-year wait for roots may be a good prediction for new plantings but with oak trees as old as our 120-year-old house, I wasn't willing to take the risk of adding 3,000 more linear feet of water-filled pipe. My fears may be dismissed by one of you smart guys as overly-cautious, but I have better peace of mind with a new high-SEER heat pump. Having said that, I still love the idea of geothermal HVAC.

• vvl
    13 years ago

We are going to be totally remodeling a house we just bought and are very interested in geothermal heating/cooling. We are in central NJ. Would be interested in getting some recommendations of companies that service our area.

Also, would it be possible to find out approximately how much you paid for your system and about how many square feet your house is.

From what we have been reading, there is a HUGE price difference in what some people have paid - from $28,000 to over $80,000! There just should not be such a difference....

Lastly, we read that the system can take care of about 80% of the heating needs. What temp can be maintained in the house and can it be regulated?

Would really appreciate hearing from some of you that have a system and might know some of these answers.

• missingtheobvious
    13 years ago

vvl, you might consider also posting this in the Mid-Atlantic Gardening forum:
    http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/midatl/
    and in the Heating & Airconditioning forum of the sister site, That Home Forum:
    http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/hvac/

• miamicooling
    13 years ago

I would like to gain some information on these types of systems as well so I an start offering these types of services. Ive always been very interested in this stuff and as a AC tech I should pick up on it quick.

Here is a link that might be useful: MiamiCooling

• MichaelALoftus
    13 years ago

We have a geothermal heating and cooling system and it was installed last year. I live in Maryland and the price of a typical system is around $24,000. Fortunately we took advantage of the 30% federal geothermal tax credit and that reduced the effective price by $7,200 to $16,800. Then we got a Maryland geothermal heat pump grant for $2,000 and a $2,500 property tax credit from Anne Arundel County which brought the price down to $12,300. We're saving about 40% on our utility bills now which makes the upfront price worth it.

In terms of planting around your loop field, from what we've read, don't plant trees like poplars, willows, silver maples or elms around the piping as these types of trees have deep root systems that can wrap around pipes. Luckily the geothermal piping isn't prone to cracking and has a 55 year plus lifespan. We used Earth River Geothermal to install our system and we're glad to have made the switch sooner than later. Check out this link for relevant information. Geothermal Heating and Cooling

Here is a link that might be useful: Geothermal Heat Pumps

• shelleysmail_verizon_net
    13 years ago

Michael, good info...how many tons is your system?

• BMW8767
    12 years ago

Our company installs geothermal systems with great success all throughout Western New York and Northeastern Pennsylvania.
    We perform NYS Energy Audits, and House Sizing.
    We install closed-loop (pond, earth) and open-loop (well) systems.
    For more information or to request a quote visit our website.
    www.domesticenergyresources.com

Here is a link that might be useful: Domestic Energy Resources