Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
justind000

Cut out hillside landscape ideas / prevent more erosion

justind000
11 years ago

{{gwi:38238}}

This is a pano shot of my new backyard. It's surrounded by a chain link fence and is cut out of a slope. The apex of the slope is where that power line pole is. From the bottom flat area to the top, the apex is about a 10' rise. From the fence to where the dropoff comes is about 5' wide all around. The hillside is eroding away slowly, so I've left the weeds there until I figure out what to do with it.

I live in the desert of S. California, so we get very little rain, high summer temperatures of around 115, winter lows of 30s. I live in a wind corridor, gusts up to 80 mph, sustained up to 30-40 mph at times. There is no sprinkler system in the back.

I've considered a steppe all the way around, with maybe a second steppe at the high point. I think that the little cliff could be a nice looking thing, but I just need to figure out what to do. I'm able to do/build/make most anything myself so it's just a matter of time and money. Another thing I've considered is a pond and some sort of waterfall in the high corner, but that leaves the rest empty.

In short, it's a lot of open space and I'm not the idea type, more a doer, so any inspiration would be greatly appreciated.

Comments (4)