Return to the Landscape Design Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Expand,rebuild, and re-plant exitsting beds. Plant suggestions?

Posted by jarrod713 9 (My Page) on
Thu, Jun 27, 13 at 23:35

I live in houston. Soil is mainly clay. Need some ideas for plants. I want to put in a couple small flowering trees, shrubs and perennials.

crape myrtle, smoketree, chaste tree, burning bush, rock rose, viburnum, yellow root, and firethorn. These are ideas i have so far. I plant to expand the bed in front of the live oak closest to the bed and extend it all the way to the driveway. Also expand outward at the corner of the house down the side and then bubble out at the fence. Ideas for edging would help also. Thank you!

Here is a link that might be useful: My house

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Expand,rebuild, and re-plant exitsting beds. Plant suggestion

I am making a suggestion of how you might make the bed line and where you might put a small tree (like a crape or Vitex ... centered at the face of the side wall, where I put white lines.) Not making suggestions for what you fill the bed with, but hopefully, it will be plants that are the right height for their location. Would do away with the small circular bed (red "X".)

As far as "edging" goes, a flush mowing strip (like how the curb at the street edges the outside of your yard now) looks much better than a thin vertical edge sticking up above the grade level . It should be 8" wide or better.
The live oak is going to become very large. Personally, I would not want it low branched in front of my window or coming at the house, so would make sure that those low branches are removed right along as the tree gains height.

o

Thank you for the suggestion. I know the live oak is going to be a problem. Unfortunatly, it is up to my HOA if I remove it. That is my plan. Also, that eyesore is a man hole cover that I need to adress. This picture was taken three or four years ago I have had my home rented out since. I have been in the Army these past few years and the beds are in pretty bad shape due to neglect. This is why my plan is to start fresh. I like your idea for the bed expansion. Thank you.

o

You're welcome.

I guess you won't be getting rid of any manholes! You could minimize its appearance with a nice paint.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Landscape Design Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here