Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
monicakm1

Types of St Augustine

monicakm_gw
13 years ago

I'm out in the country of NE Texas, surrounded by hay meadows. Most of our yard (about 1/2 acre) is Bermuda and other unidentifiable greens). Several years ago we put in some St Augustine in the front and it's made it's way around both sides of the house....doing better on the north side than the south side.) Before I started reading this forum tonight, I didn't even know there was more than one kind of SA :o My lawn man (more of just a lawn mower than a lawn expert) is going to kill the grass in back, till it, remove what he can and put down squares of SA. I'd like to condition the soil first. Lime and Humus?? Other suggestions? I've got an automatic sprinkler system so keeping it well watered isn't going to be a problem. Since the south side yard is SO big and I can't afford to sod it in SA, he said we could just sod random squares in that part of the yard and it will eventually spread. Does this sound like a viable plan? I don't use weed-n-feed products. I do use Scott's Southern Turf Builder w/ 2% iron. Here is a photo I just took of the north side yard. It was mowed today. Can you identify the type of SA? Is the Sapphire more hardy? Which type of SA would be best for my area. We're 60 miles east of Dallas and generally more humid and not quite as cold in the winter. HOWEVER, this winter did a number on my lawn. It's still not where it should be :(

Monica

{{gwi:38271}}