Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
festucablue

retaining wall on a budget

festucablue
15 years ago

I would appreciate any suggestions on what materials to use to build a 12 foot long, 4 foot high retaining wall, using cheaper materials: pressure treated wood is expensive ... rocks are too heavy and it would take too long to gather ... what else can I use? Also, I cannot use any concrete, town regulations for the area.

Thanks.

Comments (15)

• jenangelcat
    15 years ago

tires, don't know how attractive it will be though, but my landscaping friend says when done well, they'll never budge. I guess you could always grow ivy or something similar on it.

• laag
    15 years ago

I've taken apart tire walls. Don't do it!

• drexler
    15 years ago

Ok, I have used treated 8x8 to build a retaining wall for my parking area. It is approx 3' high and 16' long. It cost around $700 total. I used rebar, 10" galvinized spikes, and a 2 foot 1/2 drill bit. I also had to purchase a chain saw to cut them with (included in the price). I did all the work myself about 4 years. The wall has not moved one bit.

I believe that I spent a low price for what I have done. If you're doing the work yourself, it isn't hard. It would have been nice to have someone help lift the lumber with me. But I did it all on my own. I really don't think you are going to find a cheaper material than the landscaping ties. I looked into stone blocks as an alternative and the cost was too high.

• festucablue
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thank you for the replies.
    laag, what an informative comment, and it's true, I always thought the deadmen were supposed to create leverage. I am suprised though to hear that hiring a landscaper to dig and lay bolders would be a cheap propostion, but I'll look into it.
    drexel, your suggestion is what I initially planned to do, untill I got a quote of $2,500 to $3,000, including materials. Well, that is definitely above my budget, as doing it myself is above my stamina level. Good for you though!

So, this is why I thought to ask for a cheaper option. I always imagine there must be an innovative, out of the box solution, but I guess a retaining wall is not something to experiment with. I am getting a quote tomorrow from an outfit using keystones, but I don't expect it to be cheaper then wood.

• laag
    15 years ago

That is a very high quote for a PT tie wall of that size unless there is an unusual circumstance or additional work.

I would expect to pay $1,800 - $2,500 for the Keystone and under $2k for timber, but prices and availability of qualified contractors varies from place to place.

• marcinde
    15 years ago

I disagree- that bid doesn't seem out of line. 6"x8"x8' p/t timbers are what we use for walls and they're not cheap. By the time you factor in the materials & markup (timbers, spikes, backfill), the time to stock the job, the time on site, access issues, and the cleanup... it sounds like maybe you got a quote from someone who understands the business and isn't bidding off a blind SF price. That's a good thing, potentially.

Unfortunately, retaining walls involve three expensive elements: time, materials, and liability.

• laag
    15 years ago

Unless there is an unusual circumstance, a "square foot" price works. The shorter the length of wall, the less prep time there is. Twelve feet is not a lot of base prep.. That is a tie and a half or 9 Keystone blocks. Fifty bucks a face foot is a lot of dough for a PT tie wall of that length.

If there is more work than that, it is not the price of the wall that is being talked about. $3k might not be much for a job that includes a 48 FF tie wall, but it is high for just the tie wall.

• pls8xx
    15 years ago

When I see what others have to pay, it sure makes me glad I live where it's warm, Arkansas. No freezing ground to worry with. No red tape, permits or inspections in my little town.

Here is a 28 ft by 4 ft high section of my DIY concrete walls, cost under $500 back when concrete was $72 a yard.

{{gwi:38273}}

• jon_manuel_hotmail_com
    12 years ago

PT Timber is the cheapest temporary retaining wall. You'll be re-building in 10-15 years. Small retaining concrete blocks are under $2 per 4x12 blocks.
    I've run into literature on a green retaining wall. Geotextile bags are filled with soil and stacked like blocks. Within weeks vegetation grows through the bags as they form a pretty strong retaining wall. I've seen very high walls built using this method nearly vertical walls.

• ronnebaum
    9 years ago

Retaining wall blocks run $6 per linear foot. Do the math on a wood timber wall. Wood is not much cheaper. The material in the back, drainage pipe, gravel and landscape cloth are the same. I'm tempted to make my own blocks to get the costs down under $6 a linear foot. Concrete is expensive when you factor in the pump, delivery, concrete and framing. Still looking for a cheaper alternative myself. I can do the labor myself with a few buddies.

• Rebecca Woita
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

CHEAPEST? "EARTHBAGS" google it...bags you can buy on eBay + And all you have to do is fill them with dirt, stack them, plant or plaster and voila...cheap, cheap, cheap...laborious, "green" AND CHEAP!

• bunti
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

we are building a house. There is big slope one side. 10’ drop may be. The length of the wall is almost 150’. Scared to see the budget for that retaining wall. I have seen something with iron bars with more than 15’ tall(with no blocks). I don’t know what it is? I don’t know about the pricing too. Can you please suggest me what can be done with the slope.

Next to the slope side, there is an empty lot for sale. If anyone wants to build the house, they have to fill it up. I want to talk with the neighbor and gradually drop the slope into his property and put some erosion control plants or put some grass seeds. But my contractor is suggesting us the retaining wall.

Another issue with the retaining wall is, even if I start building the retaining wall on my property line, by the time it reaches the 10', I am losing couple of feet in the slope of the retaining wall and for the fencing we have to leave 1 or 2 feet. Almost I am loosing 4-5'. In that place, I want to grow few fruit trees. Other side of the house is shade with trees. I can't grow anything.

Please suggest me what can be done.

• bunti
    8 years ago

10' wall is at the beginning and at the end of 150' its going to be ground level.

• PRO
    Yardvaark
    8 years ago

Bunti, it looks like you are tacking onto someone else's old thread. Instead, start new thread for your own project. Though I read through your post, it is not clear what you are asking or what your objectives are. Try to state it again (in your new thread) in a different, simpler way.