Return to the Landscape Design Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Ideas for a roundabout

Posted by charliegirl78 3b (My Page) on
Mon, Jul 14, 08 at 0:00

We have purchased 3 acres of raw farm land and have made a very large driveway which comes to the house with a very large (horizontal) tear shaped parking pad. Right now its all gravel but we are stumped on what to make the centre portion of the parking area out of. FWIW, we plan on laying out moke material in the shape/size we think we will work before purchasing the materials but right now I'm looking for creative ideas like, recycled tires (husband won't have it), rail ties, hedges (cotonasters). Landscape stones like a retaining wall scare me due to the damage it would cause any vehicle should it be bumped, scratched or hit.

Many thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Ideas for a roundabout

Hi, Charliegirl

If I understand you right, you've got a circular driveway and want to do something creative with the center.

If that's the case, what about a tree with wildflowers around it and some split rail fence? Of course, the fence would only work if you've got it elsewhere on your property, but it could be very nice. It would also prevent cars from 'cutting the corners' of your driveway.

...wildflowers in WI -- brown-eyed susans, bergamot, milkweed, etc.

o

Tall, ornamental grasses (that are billowy like love grass) are along one side of the island in our paved parking area. They are tall enough for drivers to see when backing out. If they hit the grasses, nothing is damaged. The grasses are pretty flexible and since we cut them back every year, there's no harm done if someone really ran them down (hasn't happened). Then, we have a mix of shrubs, and perennials behind the grasses.

o

How about a nice shade tree with a bench under it. A path to it through a cottage style garden. Maybe a little water feature.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Landscape Design Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here