Return to the Landscape Design Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Backyard: replace expanse of concrete with ?

Posted by cooperyang CA (My Page) on
Fri, Jul 22, 11 at 0:04

Hello,
I have a big long backyard which consists of a pool, an old cabana, lots of concrete and some flagstone. I want to keep the pool and flagstone as is, and replace the cabana with a smaller arbor-like structure. My challenge is what to replace the concrete with. General thoughts:
* replacing all the concrete with flagstone will look good but is beyond my budget
* I think I want to extend the existing flagstone to make a patio area where the cabana is now
* ideas for the replacing the rest of the concrete include: flower beds, grass, resurfacing
* does anyone have experience with concrete paint? As it is low cost I am willing to give it a try and not feel bad if it doesn't work out

I hope this link works - https://picasaweb.google.com/yangcooper/House?authkey=Gv1sRgCNnsiI6K7p_UYg. The first two pictures are taken from the opposite ends of the backyard and the third is an aerial shot.

thanks in advance,
Eric

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Backyard: replace expanse of concrete with ?

o

Lot of concrete there! I don't know if you can use it on old concrete but my son expanded his front steps greatly to 8 ft long & 4 ft. wide & somehow made a rounded edge on them. H e had to wait awhile to put the finish on but it was called a "stain" & it is really beautiful, looks like a walkway in Italy, marbled old world looking with deeper looking "veins" for an aged look. Everyone looks them. I asked him where he got the idea & he said he had seen directions for using the "stain" on the Internet & just did that. I'm sure it comes in colors. His is a vanilla/gold Venice look. Not sure what you would look for but try "concrete stains" & see what comes up, he watched a video & then just did it. He did his patio also. You have some darkening on some of the cement so might be wise to power wash or clean it before doing anything to it. You would want a color to bring out colors of the flagstone. Hope you can find it. I can ask him what it is called & if it can be used on old cement/concrete.

o

What sunnyca might be referring to is an acid stain for concrete - quite commonly used and should be fairly available where you are. I'm not sure how the wear factor is (i.e. how visible any damage is if it gets chipped/damaged). I would think that this would give you a better finish than a paint that would sit on the surface.

If you want to maintain the same area of paving that you currently have, you could try replacing portions of the concrete with flagstone and retaining the rest - just to break up the expanse.

- Audric

o

You could remove areas in the concrete. For example by removing an area surrounding the cabana posts, you could break the area up with beautiful vines. I don't know if you would be interested in additional shade, but you could cut out another area and place a tree (similiar to what you might see in a downtown street lined block). You could also had planter boxes. You might want a mini focal point instead of just a big empty area. Unless you have children that need a place to run around, I would be hesitate and slow removing a very low maintainance backyard.

o

I do not know if this will help you but because I could not tear up 1650 sq ft of concrete because it is a balcony and a big part of the house below is below that concrete. LOL

I decided to cover it with slate. Ordered from California the shipping was more than the stone but it was reasonable price,

PATIO BEFORE

PATIO REMODEL

PATIO AFTER

Photobucket

o

All, thanks for the good ideas! Time for me to start thinking and designing.

Eric

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Landscape Design Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here