Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
acw2355

Ilex "Sky pencil" vs. Euonymus "Green Spire"

acw2355
10 years ago

RE: Ilex "Sky pencil" vs. Euonymus "Green Spire"

Has anyone grown these plants? Did you have a preference for one over the other?

I was looking for a narrow but tallish plant to plant as a privacy screen in a small area. Both will grow well in my zone (7b). They seem very similar in habit and I like both. Just wondering if others have had experience with each plant.

Comments (11)

• lyfia
    10 years ago

I have a sky pencil holly in zone 8b and in southern facing sun. It seems to do really well there. Not sure if there are different types of them that fit different climates. Mine seems pretty tolerant of low water conditions too.

It will throw up shoots though as it grows in height which if you are looking for a formal look may look a bit scraggly.

Not familiar at all with the other.

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    10 years ago

IME, Euonymus 'Green Spire' has some long term issues in the PNW. While I think the plant is extremely attractive and very useful as a narrow profiled accent shrub, it often experiences significant dieback from a fungal pathogen, Oidium euonymus japonici, which occurs only on Euonymus japonicus cultivars. The result is rather unattractive unless pruned out and then you are left with holes in the plant and an uneven form. I have also seen the plant die outright from this problem. Also, the upward sweep of its branching sometimes relaxes and you get odd, directional growth that detracts from the columnar form and needs to be removed.

'Sky Pencil' has proven to be a very reliable plant here but with a narrower profile than the euonymus and a slower growth rate.

• jakkom
    10 years ago

I have the Euonymus "Green Spire" and haven't been impressed with it. I've definitely gotten the "odd directional" growth that I've had to prune off, and I've found that altho it lives with little water, it doesn't like it.

Irregular watering creates "bare stem" areas on the branches. They don't fill in when it gets water, the euonymus just puts on a growth spurt so you have this silly segmented look:
    {{gwi:38466}}

• acw2355
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you for the replies which convinced me that the Ilex Sky pencil was the way to go.

A local nursery was having a 25% off sale today and lo and behold they had several of the Ilex 'Sky pencil' so I ran down after work, bought eight, and planted them tonight. ( I know, worse time of year to plant...) I have alternated them with Nandina 'Gulf Stream' along a 4' high chain link fence and am pleased already at how the plants contrast each other.

They face west and get midday sun from overhead roughly 1130 to 430 pm. There is an existing sprinkler system although it's just as easy to hand water the row.

Thanks again for the thoughtful answers.

• enjoyingnaturetx7b
    8 years ago

Hi, Just wondering if you could give a followup how your sky pencils are doing? I'm also in zone 7b. I read that they don't like the clay soil... I just discovered the eunymus spire and was considering it.

• acw2355
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Unfortunately all but two have died. Not sure why. They did great the first year then began to get grey/brown streaks and died off. All were Monrovia plants. I was very disappointed.

• Jamie
    4 years ago

I'm also in Zone 7b (Southwest Tennessee) and have 4 sky pencils in our front yard, which faces the west. They get sunlight most of the day- but especially in the late afternoon. They don't seem to be bothered by it though. One of them is in a large container (that we have to water every day) and the other 3 are in the ground. I feed them with Holly Tone from Espoma according to their directions, and keep them well-watered.

• 1818 Federal (7bEC)
    4 years ago

@Jamie, how often do you feed?

• Jamie
    4 years ago

Just twice a year- spring and late fall

• 1818 Federal (7bEC)
    4 years ago

i, just this weekend, began feeding my 50+ evergreens. thought it was ill- advised when growing season winds down. However, Espoma's website recommended a Fall feeding, so i did it!