Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bgaviator

what to plant between these Hostas....

bgaviator
9 years ago

I have a gap I need to fill, but I'm not sure what to plant. I like perrenials because I don't want to have to spend money every year, and I want something that pretty much takes care of itself. I would like something with some color to break up all the green from the hostas and fern. As you can see from these pictures I'm posting, there are some Hostas to the right, and there is a Fern and I believe some type of lily to the left. This bed is on the north side of the house, if that makes a difference. I am in zone 7. Thanks everyone!

Comments (11)

• bgaviator
    Original Author
    9 years ago

another pic..

• littlebug5
    9 years ago

Heucheras. There is an excellent forum on this site dedicated to heucheras.

• Lalala (zone 6b)
    9 years ago

I agree with heucheras. Astilbe could be nice mixed in too. Hakonechloa "all gold" for variation in color and texure.

• Olychick
    9 years ago

I like using hardy fuchsias in the mix, for variety of height and leaf size and some season long flowers.

• frankielynnsie
    9 years ago

I have heucheras, ferns, impatiens, pulmonaria, brunerra, trillium, jack in the pulpit, and lenten roses all planted in the hosta bed.

• stolenidentity
    9 years ago

all of the above. And daylilly. What a nice bed you have to work with bgaviato. I added Lady's Mantle and Scented Gernaium in my beds to keep them evergreen.

• bgaviator
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I think this side of the house though, even though it's on the north side, gets way too much blazing sun, and thus my hostas are getting scorched, as I posted pics in the Hosta forum.....with that being said, do some of these plants suggestions you all have made still hold true? Thanks.

• littlebug5
    9 years ago

My neighbor has a row of heucheras on the west side of his house which has been there for years. They get full sun from about 2 p.m. on.

And daylilies love sun.

• duluthinbloomz4
    9 years ago

Daylilies are lovely plants, but each flower bud on a scape blooms for one day only.

How about something carefree like the perennial salvias? May Night or East Friesland (and there are others) were in great supply at the Big Box garden centers - and probably still are. The salvias have nice hardy foliage and the long lasting purple flower spikes would compliment both your brick and the hostas. If you deadhead the spent bloom spikes, you'll get a second, though smaller, flush of blooms.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    9 years ago

I would go with astilbe if you are willing to water-they are waterhogs. My best ones are around one of the bird baths, so they get water daily and are spectacular. My others tend to dry out. I think you need a little height, so maybe astilbe or digitalis (foxgloves)toward the back and heuchera toward the front. Actaea racemosa (black cohash, black bugbane, cimicifuga) would be a good choice, too. It has white flowers and is very tall. Anemones are lovely and bloom in the late summer, fall- lots of colors too.

• BungalowMonkeys
    9 years ago

Should think about Japanese Forest Grass. This is not a pic from my garden, as my 2 aureola's were just purchased and are tiny. Grows slow, but looks great when it matures and drapes over. The 2 planted are in 6 hours of full morning sun and then dappled shade the rest of the day. They seem to be doing great and so are the guac hostas planted next to them.