Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
patreesh

Help with landscaping shed on slope

patreesh
10 years ago

Area in front of shed slopes downward approximately 3 feet. I'm stumped because of drop-off. Want to build stone wall in front and along side, with stone stairs leading to porch. Also want to add of stone patio to blend in. Looking for layout suggestions. Thank you

Here is a link that might be useful: photobucket

Comments (21)

• PRO
    Yardvaark
    10 years ago

You began this topic in another thread a short while back but it did not progress. I think I was the only responder, but you didn't acknowledge my response or add to the thread. Once threads seem like they're abandoned by their "owners," they quickly go idle.

If you'd like the thread to progress, I think you need to provide more graphic information. You're inquiring about a construction (wall and patio) that would relate to things already built (porch and shed.) If we can't see the things from a perspective that EXPLAINS them, then it's hard or impossible to come up with relevant suggestions. The link to a photo you provided here does not seems to work (for me anyway.) I'm thinking back to your prior picture and recall that it didn't show the shed and porch in the same photo so that one could grasp how they might fit together. Also, you should mention if you're seeking an expansive patio, or a minimal one.

GardenWeb makes is easy to place photos directly in the threads so I find myself wondering why people don't use this option instead of providing links. Links are cumbersome if one wishes to study photo details and compare them simultaneously to the text. Writing a reply usually requires seeing the photo at the same time, too.

• patreesh
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Yardvaark - I'm referring to the front porch attached to the shed.

Don't know why you're not able to view my pictures through the Photobucket link. I wasn't aware you could post more than one picture in a thread. I e-mailed Garden Web for advice on how to do this and the reply was: "Currently, GardenWeb's tools only allow for one photo per post to be uploaded. However, many members upload multiple images to a third-party image-hosting site (for example, Photobucket), then imbed the the link to those images in the body of their message using HTML code." I'm not too computer savvy but see that many others use Photobucket or its equivalent and I've had no problem viewing them. Anyway, again, I appreciate your help.

Patreesh

• patreesh
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Additional pictures.

• patreesh
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Additional pictures.

• frankielynnsie
    10 years ago

Would the wall on the R side be built out a few feet from the building for a flower bed? Would you build the patio out from the porch of the shed? Just trying to see what you are envisioning.

• patreesh
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hope these help. Thanks.

• patreesh
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Frankielynn - Yes to both. This last picture shows right side of shed (as you're facing shed). Would like to build, perhaps, an 18" wall around that side to surround new plantings. Depth from front of shed to ground is approximately 3 feet. Thinking of building front wall to approxiimately 3 feet then building small patio/landing in front of that. Entire garden is approximately 35 feet - wasn't able to capture all of it in photo. Trying to figure out how to blend it all together so it won't look too haphazard. Thanks very much.

• PRO
    Yardvaark
    10 years ago

The shed is relatively close to the house and toward this direction is the logical place for steps and "patio". Yet how the shed and house relate is information not offered. I find myself wishing for a photo that is from the direction as indicated in my illustration below. If you want to avoid a haphazard appearance, it's important to relate to things around it. We need to see.

I can't yet get clear what you're after. How large is the patio you envision? (In square feet.)

Patreesh, be careful with descriptions: "I want to build a wall 18" ... 18" thick? ... 18" distance away from something" ... 18" tall" ... ?? "The garden is 35' ... 35' away? ... 35' times another measurement? ... 35 square feet? ... We cannot see all the things you can, so applying logic to simple statements is not always as easy as it might seem.

Uploading photos to a photo-hosting site and getting the html code (usually by following some sort of "share" link) is the easiest way to post multiple photos. Many people just add them by making additional posts with a picture in each one. Personally, I like the photos that are useful to be included directly in the thread rather than having to chase them down elsewhere. It can be time consuming. Also, when replying, I usually need to be looking at various pictures which cannot be done if they're elsewhere.

This post was edited by Yardvaark on Sun, Jul 28, 13 at 13:09

• frankielynnsie
    10 years ago

You want to surround the out building with a retaining wall on all sides with stairs at entrance to porch to keep gravel in place? Fill area between building and wall with plantings? And then add a small patio in front of the building. Is this correct? Are you able to stabilize the side of the building on the garden side? If this is your goal add the other pictures and lets see what ideas the pros come up with.

• patreesh
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Exactly Frankielynn -

• patreesh
    Original Author
    10 years ago

more angles

• patreesh
    Original Author
    10 years ago

more angles

• patreesh
    Original Author
    10 years ago

can't get better picture of path leading to left side of shed - too much foliage.

• patreesh
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Forgot - Distance from right side of shed is approximately 20 feet. Thanks.

• PRO
    Yardvaark
    10 years ago

The picture I am looking for shows the shed, and IN THE SAME PICTURE, at least some of the house, and the space between those two buildings. It is mainly the space between them that is helpful to see. If the camera were to move to the right several feet from where it took the last picture you added, I think that might do it.

• thejardiner
    10 years ago

if you like the original garden visiting this blog you will find Variety of pots very nice and original:
    http://macetascreativaspalmeras.blogspot.com.es/

Here is a link that might be useful: BEAUTY POTS

• patreesh
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hope this is what you're looking for. I do appreciate your efforts to help me out.

• trovesoftrilliums
    10 years ago

If you want to store garden items like wheelbarrow and lawn mower in the shed, you might consider a ramp rather than stairs.

• PRO
    Yardvaark
    10 years ago

OK, here are some ideas I hope you can make sense of. I think you must generally level the ground between the house and shed, but in doing so, create a shallow swale so that there is proper drainage. (I'm trying to show that with the yellow lines.) It seems like some circular steps could help orient the shed to the main path. (Can't make a suggestion for patio as I have no idea what size you are asking about.) An "S" curved wall could keep it simple and be easily built of segmented blocks. I hope these suggestions are addressing the things you are asking about.

• patreesh
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I really like that idea Yardvaark. Actually I wanted to put a small patio stone landing directly in front of the shed. Using your illustration directly above, showing "top of wall" and "sloping", how far out would you suggest I bring the landing/patio? Looking directly at garden from house, the width of the garden is 35 feet.

• PRO
    Yardvaark
    10 years ago

How big you make it depends on need. How big do you need it to be?

Sponsored
Hoppy Design & Build
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Northern VA Award-Winning Deck ,Patio, & Landscape Design Build Firm