Return to the Landscape Design Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Need help on where to start with landscape designing

Posted by disfan SW PA (My Page) on
Sun, Jul 15, 12 at 8:50

Our house has been complete for a year now, and we recently had the driveway and sidewalk done and are ready to begin on the landscaping. Are there any good programs available online to help us get started? We are located in southwest PA. I'd appreciate any suggestions on what plants to use or what types of plants should be used close to the house. On the left side, we'd like to do a shaped section with a dogwood tree. Other than that, we're stumped on ideas. Thanks!!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Need help on where to start with landscape designing

I use showoff.com. It's free and gives a reasonable end product as far as colors, sizes, and looks of plants to aid your decisions.

Pretty house!

A pic from the street would help a little too.

Good luck.

o

Thank you! Here's another pic. I'll check out that site!

o

For the benefit of lurkers who might be future posters in a similar situation, it should be mentioned that you have actually already made the most significant landscaping decisions in the design of your sidewalk, driveway, and steps. I don't mean to say there is anything wrong with the decisions you made - in fact you've left yourself a nice big bed near the house in the contrast to some I've seen, and there is a pleasant curve on your driveway - but just to say that the plants are the flexible, temporary, personal, and occasional features of your landscape while the hardscape is permanent, full time, and will go from owner to owner unchanged.

If, for example, you want to place trees to shade the house or the driveway or to provide privacy, that is often best decided before concrete is poured. Even, in some cases, before a house is built.

Incidentally, you have not mentioned what direction the house faces, which will help with suggestions.

Karin L

o

Landscape Designing is very important to enhance your space. Try to start in the upper near the garage.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Landscape Design Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here