Return to the Landscape Design Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Tropical space in Indiana

Posted by indylisa IN (My Page) on
Sat, Jul 10, 10 at 9:19

This is the 6th year for the large banana tree. We dig it up by Halloween and store in basement, same with elephant ears and calla lilly. This is by the alley running by our house...lots of looks.
LisaPhotobucket

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Tropical space in Indiana

Photobucket

o

I have a bananna tree to and bring it inside when it's 50 F or cooler. Nice plant to have inside in the winter... very tropical.

If you want more tropical look for this area try a Norfolk island pine.

o

• Posted by edie_h 5 NY (Finger Lakes) (My Page) on
    Tue, Jul 13, 10 at 20:55

I love your banana, that would certainly make me do a double-take, even from the other side of the fence. You didn't specifically say you wanted suggestions. If you want a recommendation for another plant to add, read on.

I'd add some cannas to the oasis. This is my first year growing them and I really like them. Cannas are related to bananas. They're big, bold, and easy to grow. They also come in different leaf colors, and some will flower even in z-5, so they add some color. Plus they're another plant you dig in the fall and store in the basement. That's already working for you with your other tropicals. If you decide to get some cannas, do read up on canna virus first, and shop carefully. Getting virused cannas would be a bummer, especially if the virus spread to your beloved banana. It's worth it to spend a little extra and get one perfect, healthy canna, rather than a bagful of cheap but potentially infected ones. Healthy, happy cannas will multiply so your tropical refuge will get more gorgeous every year. The canna forum will give you lots of inspiration and advice.

o

Big guy is going to have bananas...big pod in the top.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Landscape Design Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here