Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
srogue

Fencing

srogue
10 years ago

Not sure if this is the right forum but im going for it. I need some advice. In this picture you can see my house and my neighbor's. They have a railroad tie retaining wall and behind it a fence. Now, my neighbor gave us permission to connect to his fence, and even put posts up behind the retaining wall to do so, but is this the best option? I want to run the fence from in front of the AC unit back to where it would connect to his, but that is alot of posts up above his ties.

Anyone have any suggestions or is that the best option?

Comments (4)

• PRO
    Yardvaark
    10 years ago

This is exactly the forum where to make your inquiry.

Because of legality (lot lines) this is often a situation where people decide to implement an inferior solution, i.e., installing a fence at the BOTTOM of a retaining wall or steep grade. First recognize this for all practical purposes, doing it that way truly is inferior. Sometimes it's downright horrible or even dangerous. Such places collect litter or cannot be properly maintained. Sometimes they trap people. Fences need to be at the TOP of a steep grade or retaining wall. If you were to keep the fence on YOUR side of the line, the only way to do it while staying with a good solution would be to create your own retaining wall (on your side of the line) and install the fence at the top of it. In this case, doing that would negate the need for your neighbor's retaining wall, so it could be removed or just covered in which case it would become moot. But solving the problem this way would be costly and inefficient.

In the case where neighbors can work cooperatively (such as it seems here) a better solution is to GIVE your neighbor some fencing, if they agree, to be located in the place where you wish to have it. I say "give" because once the fence is installed on their property, it is theirs to control and dispose of as they see fit. As long as there is a good relationship, this seems like a workable idea. But one must keep in mind that if the relationship sours, the plan for fencing might change too. Then again, it might not. One must weigh their chances of success. Having had good relationships with neighbors in all the places I've lived, since it is efficient and practical, working out a fence gift arrangement is the option I'd try for. I am reminded of times where I have given neighbors trees and shrubs (lots of them) in order that I could benefit from the existence of those plants. Sometimes, it's a win-win for all. If fencing where you want it will improve conditions for your neighbors, it's likely that they would keep it even if things go poorly with your relationship in the future. It could even INCREASE their chances of keeping it.

• srogue
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Yardvaark, thank you very much. This is what I needed to hear. I have even had two fence companies come by and do estimates and neither of them explained the situation like you have. Okay, I will talk with my neighbor again and explain it to them more, but I am certain they will be fine with it. I too thought having the fence run low down below would look bad, and having it up top would be the best solution, and Yeah I wouldn't want to waste the money making a second retaining wall.

Thank you for the advice.

• PRO
    Yardvaark
    10 years ago

De nada.

• PRO
    Yardvaark
    10 years ago

De nada.