Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ncnewbie

Digging Up Boxwoods/Replacements?

ncnewbie
16 years ago

Beware, I'm completely new to landscape design, and gardening in general. We just bought a house, and I want to really overhaul the landscape, starting with the front of the house. All that is planted along the front of the house is boxwoods, 12 of them to be exact. And they've been there for 7 years since the house was built, so they're mature in size, probably 3 x 3 each. The first problem I have with them is placement. They were placed too close together, and not at all in any kind of pattern. The spacing is nowhere close to even, even after trimming them trying to help. I could go on, but frankly, I've just decided I don't like them. They leave me very little room to do anything with the front beds of my house, even if I extended it. I want to just dig them up and start anew. I do like the idea of evergreens, a sort of backbone to the beds if you will, but not something so overpowering. I'd like something that stayed rather low to the ground, and gave me more options with perennials and annuals or other shrubs. So:

1) Can you recommend a different evergreen that would be hardy in eastern NC that doesn't get quite as big, but makes a good backbone for the bed?

2) I've read that boxwoods are best transplanted in fall, so that's probably when I'll undertake this. I'm sure I could find them a happy home. Can I also plant other evergreens at this time?

Comments (4)