Return to the Landscape Design Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Retaining walls basics - dig down vs build up

Posted by dc_pilgrim (My Page) on
Fri, Jul 24, 09 at 10:02

In thinking of my yard I was always thinking of building up and adding fill. Is there a major flaw in digging down instead? Put to pictures - is the blue triangle just as valid as the red triangle?

Photobucket

Obviously, drainage is a consideration (particularly in my case) - but this solution could save us a lot of money because for our usage (play area) building up needs a fence, but digging down might give us a defacto bench.

Is this a bad idea?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Retaining walls basics - dig down vs build up

The best approach is to do both ... use what you dig out of the lower slope as fill behind the retaining wall.

Before you start, look into the zoning and building codes.

A retaining wall that is poorly built can take out your house in a mudslide.

o

Thanks for the reply. That's an interesting point. I am feeling like my projects are a lot more feasible (once I diagnose my drainage issue).

o

Before you dig ANYTHING, make sure you call 811, a free service, that will help you ensure that you do not accidentally cut into service lines. This is not only a safety issue, but it could cost you big money if you accidentally cut a line (not to mention saving you from the angry neighbors that just lost a utility because you cut the line)!
There's more info about 811 here, and some additional retaining wall info that might be helpful to you: http://info.basalite.com/blog/
Best of luck, Happy Building!
Terrie

Here is a link that might be useful: Basalite Concrete Products blog

o

Seriously make sure you call b4udig or whatever it is called in your state, and also most states I think have a website for it. Where I live they will mark it in a day or two.

AT&T told me that if I were to cut my fibre line it would be a $1500 charge. That is the line in my yard, the one near the ditch is even more.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Landscape Design Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here