Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
trackmom_gw

please suggest brand(s) landscape lighting

trackmom
9 years ago

Can somebody who knows landscape lighting please tell me the names for the "Honda Accord"-level brands of landscape lighting? I need to pick out path lights, and I want to shop for something of solid quality. But the sky is not the limit. What I have seen in Home Depot seems cheaply made. I'm looking for something in the middle. Thanks.

Comments (7)

• violetwest
    9 years ago

I think electricians buy wholesale direct from suppliers which have better quality fixtures than big box stores; don't know brands, though

• emmarene9
    9 years ago

There is a lighting forum on the Home side of GW

• deviant-deziner
    9 years ago

-Hadco - the powder coating starts flaking off at 10 -15 years
    -Lumiere - favorite is the Cambria 203 for its adjustability and deeply recessed lamp .
    -FX Luminaire
    -Hinkley - favorite is the Atlantis series, particularly the path light .

• marcinde
    9 years ago

d-d, I need your client base if they view Lumiere as Honda level! Those have been a tough sell, even on huge installs. Fantastic fixtures though.

Focus is made in your neck of the woods and you didn't mention them. Any particular reason? They've been a decent mid-level workhorse for me.

• deviant-deziner
    9 years ago

Hi Marcinde,
    Good to hear from you.
    I suppose it boils down to being a creature of habit.
    I never really got into the Focus line.
    I like Lumiere for its value, mechanics and design. The powder coating lasts long, the deep seated lamp is a major plus for glare control, the gasket is primo, the hex head lock in place swivel arm is easy to adjust and we pick them up at our electrical wholesaler for around $85 bucks, which is a very decent price point in my hood.
    I don't care for call backs and the Lumiere has been a reliable brand for us. Also the simple design blends well with most landscape styles.

The Hinkley brand is a bit more pricey but we are liking their Atlantis line when we need something with a contemporary edge. They are in the $ 140 ea range and not adjustable.

Still a lot less expensive than BK or Hunza, which I dearly love but often don't have the budget for.

attached is a Hinkley Atlantis path fixture in Hematite . We want a crisp fixture to go with the rest of the hardscape which will consist of core ten side walls and brushed steel square stock hand rails.

• marcinde
    9 years ago

That's a gorgeous fixture! Focus has one very similar in shape but way daintier. I love the chunky look of that Hinkley fixture though. We have a winery property where the Copper Moon fixtures are getting destroyed (people bang into the fixtures, knock the "hat" off, and take it home as a souvenir - drunk people suck) so I was looking at the Focus as a sub. I may suggest this one.

Every Lumiere fixture I've ever touched has felt incredibly solid. Have they always been at such a reasonable price point? I seem to recall them costing more.

I got used to Focus because of where I worked. We were big enough ($19 mil in sales) that the owner came to Phoenix and ran us through a great workshop, including a night lighting demo with filters and all that fun stuff. So by the time I left I was really familiar with the product and how to get the effects I wanted. Plus the two other lines we carried were Malibu (I know, humiliating) and Vista (meh).

• deviant-deziner
    9 years ago

Thanks for the tip on the daintier Focus fixture. Sometimes the Hinkley is a little too chunky.

We get most of our fixtures thru a large wholesale distributor ( no fancy showroom - looks like a small warehouse) so the prices are reasonable. I do remember purchasing the Luminere through a landscape supplier at one time and they had a hefty mark-up despite being a 'to the trade' source.

Focus is popular with some of my peers. This conversation inspires me to get reacquainted with the line.
    Thanks again for the exchange of info. ( miss this particular aspect of this site , but all things change I suppose )

have an enjoyable + profitable summer season.
    regards,
    Michelle